News Officer for the Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities
University of Chicago
The Office of Communications tells the stories of the University of Chicago and its faculty, students and alumni and promotes the institution’s unique intellectual culture. The News Officer serves on the news and content team in the Office of Communications—a vital role in telling the story of one of the world’s leading research universities, where rigorous inquiry shapes and defines fields, drives a transformative education, and creates impact that improve lives in Chicago and around the globe.
The News Officer focuses on writing news stories and features on a range of subjects from field-defining faculty research to innovative student work, driving engagement on the recently relaunched UChicago News website. The position includes substantial collaboration on video, podcasting and other digital content projects with producers, photographers and social media strategists to create innovative content for UChicago News and a range of social and newsletter channels. The News Officer focuses on the Social Sciences Division, Humanities Division, UChicago Arts and other subjects that may arise. The position requires close and constant contact with faculty, administrators and communicators from across the University, producing content in these subject areas that supports the University’s brand architecture, strategic goals and major initiatives. The role includes writing to attract news media interest in support of media outreach and communications campaigns.
- Work with faculty and administrators to develop, write and edit news and feature articles pertaining to the social sciences and arts and humanities, including major news and strategic communications campaigns.
- Collaborate with communicators within the various schools and divisions to ensure a strong flow of ideas and content between units and University Communications.
- Collaborate with colleagues at UChicago Creative – the University’s inhouse creative team – to develop innovative video, audio and visual content for the University’s digital and social channels.
- Work with colleagues on the University’s media relations team on media outreach around research, faculty expertise and university initiatives.
- Work with colleagues on communications planning around key priorities, audiences, messages and tactics.
- Strong writing skills, including substantial experience in writing for a general audience.
- Strong research skills and the ability to work with complex and varied material.
- Ability to explain complex ideas and materials to a general audience.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including ability to conduct interviews.
- Strong creativity, including the desire to experiment and delve into new approaches to content and storytelling.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with platforms for collaboration and content management, including Basecamp and Drupal.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least three to five years of experience producing content for general audiences in a fast-paced environment, preferably in journalism or digital media.
- Experience working with social media and digital production preferred.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.