School Library Journal
Reports To: Executive Editor
Location: New York
School Library Journal, the leading independent publication serving school and children’s librarians, based in New York City, with monthly print publication and daily and weekly Web products, seeks an experienced reporter and editor to cover library, K–12 education, and publishing news. Coverage broadly encompasses the school beat, from policy and funding to early learning and technology integration; public libraries; news in kids and young adult publishing, as well as cornerstone issues, such as literacy, copyright, intellectual freedom, and privacy.
The News Editor will write, report, and edit stories, overseeing news flow to the website, e-newsletters, and print magazine. He/she will assign and edit stories by freelancers and in-house staff, developing and maintain a stable of contributors. The News Editor will forge relationships across the library, school, and vendor communities toward developing in-depth knowledge of this unique beat and maintain a stable of freelancers. He or she will also edit and occasionally write features, edit opinion and other columns, and contribute to broader content development. The News Editor will also represent SLJ at conferences and on panels and webcasts.
- Position requires excellent reporting and editing skills, quick and independent decision-making around news and the ability to turn around polished stories on deadline.
- Substantial editing and reporting experience required, with print and/or online clips.
- Experience with social media in a journalistic context is a plus. Video, multimedia skills are desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or other relevant humanities.
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Flexible Spending
- Basic Life insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance & Short/Long Term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- 401(k) with Company match
Please send cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and writing samples (including news, reviews and/or featured articles) to firstname.lastname@example.org . E-verify. EOE.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.