School Library Journal
School Library Journal (SLJ), the leading independent publication serving school and children’s librarians, based in New York City, with a monthly print magazine and daily and weekly Web products, seeks an experienced reporter and editor to cover library, K–12 education, and publishing news. Coverage broadly encompasses the school beat, including legislation, policy, funding, and reform issues; public libraries; education technology; news in kids and YA (young adult) publishing, including authors; and industry initiatives, as well as cornerstone issues, including literacy, copyright, intellectual freedom, and privacy.
The News Editor will write and report stories, overseeing news flow to the website, e-newsletters, and print magazine, and assign and edit stories by freelancers and in-house staff. He or she will forge relationships across the library, school, and vendor communities toward developing in-depth knowledge of this unique beat, and seek to build a stable of freelancers. The News Editor will also edit and occasionally write features, edit opinion and other columns, and contribute to broader content development. (For details, see our post “News Editor Wanted at SLJ” http://ow.ly/NGCJY)
- Position requires excellent reporting and editing skills, quick and independent decision-making around news and the ability to turn around polished stories on deadline.
- Experience with social networking in a journalistic context and other communication technologies is a plus.
- Substantial reporting experience required with print and/or online clips that show range of work including stories, analysis, news features, surveys, etc.
- Familiarity with libraries and education is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or other relevant humanities.
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Flexible Spending
- Basic Life insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance & Short/Long Term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- 401(k) with Company match
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org . Resumes received without salary requirements will not be considered.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.