U.S. News & World Report
CATEGORY: Editorial, Advice Products
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News is seeking a sharp home loans/mortgages expert and reporter to empower consumers with the knowledge needed to make the best home loan decisions.
This reporter is responsible for writing insightful, actionable articles about mortgages, such as what documents you need to prepare for the mortgage process, how to get a home construction loan, when is the best time to refinance your mortgage, how your credit score impacts your ability to get approved for a home loan, and how to evaluate mortgage lenders. You’ll also expert review our home loan articles, guides and lender reviews to ensure accuracy and demonstrate expertise to readers. In addition, the mortgages expert will work with our PR team to make television, radio and web appearances to promote and be the face and voice of our home loan guides and mortgage advice content. Strong writing and communication skills are required, and a home loans/mortgages and personal finance background is a must.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a recognized expert in the home loans and mortgages field, with demonstrated expertise via your writing samples and media clips, comfortability with media appearances, and excellent writing skills.
As part of the job, you’ll research and write consumer-friendly home loans stories each week, update mortgages content for freshness, and perform an expert review of other home loans content on our site to ensure accuracy and demonstrate expertise to our audience. You’ll also contribute ideas to our home loans advice content strategy and work closely with our PR team to prepare for television, radio and web appearances.
This position involves working closely with an enthusiastic, highly collaborative team of editors, social media experts, and PR and communications professionals in a fast-paced digital environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
You should definitely have:
- A minimum of three years of journalism experience, with a background in the home loans/mortgages space
- Strong knowledge of the mortgage industry
- Previous experience with media appearances and interviews
- Solid understanding of SEO concepts and best practices
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- The ability to multitask and work on tight deadlines in a fast-paced, digital environment
- Excellent communication skills
- College degree or equivalent
It would be nice if you had:
- Expertise in other consumer loan areas, like personal loans, private student loans or business loans
- Experience with content management systems
- Experience using Google Docs and Sheets
- Familiarity with SEMRush
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement and training
- Collaborative work environment – fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Please note that we will not offer visa sponsorship for this position.
- Submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: U.S. News & World Report is a publisher of news and information that empowers people to make better, more informed decisions about important issues affecting their lives.
EOE STATEMENT: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.