Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association is seeking a Membership Manager who will play a key role in developing and carrying out EWA’s strategy for growing, diversifying, and engaging its membership. Priorities will include building community and conveying the value of EWA to members; identifying and recruiting new members; maintaining membership records; and developing marketing and communications campaigns for EWA and its programs, resources, and services.
EWA’s mission is to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. As the national professional organization of journalists and others who care about high-quality education coverage, EWA has members from news outlets large and small across the U.S.
Located in the nation’s capital, EWA offers a challenging and dynamic work environment that values initiative, creativity, and enthusiasm for serving the cause of excellence in education journalism. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its mission.
Expectations for All Employees
Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence, competence, collaboration, innovation, respect for staff diversity, accountability, ownership, and adherence to policies and procedures.
The Education Writers Association’s Membership Manager plays a key role in developing and carrying out EWA’s strategy for growing, diversifying, and engaging its membership. Priorities will include building community and conveying the value of EWA to members; identifying and recruiting new members; maintaining membership records; and developing marketing and communications campaigns for EWA and its programs, resources, and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Coordinate with EWA staff and board to periodically
review membership categories and benefits
● Work with EWA staff to set and meet annual goals for membership growth, diversity and engagement
● Develop and execute successful strategies to recruit and orient new members; ensure member renewals; and upgrade current members’ status
● Manage market research and survey efforts to better understand market size, awareness of EWA, and prospective member needs
● Connect with relevant journalism organizations and form relationships to cross-promote content and market EWA to their audiences
● Serve as main contact person for all member inquiries
● Manage membership application process, including determining member category and allocation of membership fees following EWA guidelines
● Represent EWA at events and functions
● Maintain member data system to ensure accuracy and completeness of member information
● Manage member scholarship process for EWA events
● Serve as EWA staff point person for EWA advisory boards for journalist and community members
● Work closely with other staffers to continually inform
members of services and benefits of membership; assist with the
execution of email and other marketing efforts of EWA
● Assist with member-communication activities that drive attendance at EWA events and increase use of online resources; assist EWA staff in event recruitment
● Prepare organizational marketing materials to reflect depth, reach and impact of EWA
● Collect, analyze, and report member feedback on EWA programs and events
● Evaluate and report on effectiveness of all membership development and engagement efforts
● Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Abilities
● Effective written and oral communication skills
● Ability to think strategically, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate recommendations
● Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
● Experience in planning multi-step projects and reaching milestones on time without sacrificing accuracy and quality
● Initiative, creativity, excellent problem-solving skills, and high level of professionalism
● Comfort working independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a diverse team
● Ability to proactively collaborate with EWA staff, members and other stakeholders on relevant projects
● Commitment to diverse and inclusive perspectives and disciplines across the organization
● Ability to travel required
● Demonstrated experience in association membership
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
● 3-5 years experience
● Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain data with accuracy and thoroughness
● Background in or passion for K-12 education, higher education, and/or journalism
● Familiarity with business applications for common social media
● Excellent computer knowledge; proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Google Apps required. Experience with Salesforce and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
EWA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
In addition to a collegial and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for full-time staff:
- Salary Range $55,000 – $60,000 annually
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Metro accessible office
- On-site fitness center
- Health/vision/dental coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short- and long-term disability coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Currently our office is open 5 days a week and staffers are allowed to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays if they choose. Travel required. No phone calls, please. Please note that we will not be reviewing submissions until the week of February 28th.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.