Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an enthusiastic, mission-driven and experienced Membership Coordinator who will thrive in a challenging and dynamic work environment. This position will play a key role in building and conveying the value of EWA to our members; maintaining membership records; identifying and cultivating new members; and developing marketing campaigns for our programs and resources.
The Education Writers Association is dedicated to improving the quality and quantity of education coverage to create a better-informed society. As the national professional organization of members of the media who specialize in education, EWA has worked for more than 65 years to help journalists get the story right. Today, EWA members benefit from high-quality programs providing training, information, recognition and customized support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as main contact person for all member inquiries.
- Develop and execute successful strategies to recruit and orient new members; ensure member renewals; and upgrade current members’ status.
- Manage membership application process, including determining member category and allocation of membership fees following EWA guidelines.
- Maintain member data system to ensure accuracy and completeness of member information.
- Work closely with other EWA staff to continually inform members of services and benefits of membership; assist with the execution of email and other marketing efforts.
- Assist with member communication activities that drive attendance at EWA events and increase use of online resources; assist EWA staff in event recruitment.
- Prepare organizational marketing materials to reflect depth, reach and impact of EWA.
- Manage market research and survey efforts to better understand market size, awareness of EWA, and prospective member needs.
- Process donations including acknowledgement of gifts.
- Represent EWA at events and functions.
- Manage member scholarship process for EWA events.
- Collect, analyze, and report member feedback on EWA programs and events.
- Evaluate and report on effectiveness of all membership and communications efforts.
- Travel out of town periodically to EWA seminars and related events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in member management; use of a variety of AMS/CMS (membership database).
- Ability to think strategically, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate recommendations.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities; experience in planning multi-step projects and reaching milestones on time without sacrificing accuracy and quality.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills; effective verbal communication skills.
- Takes initiative, demonstrates creativity, personable and has a high level of professionalism
- Comfort working independently, as well as part of a team; proactively collaborate with EWA staff, members and other stakeholders on relevant projects.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain data with accuracy and thoroughness.
- Direct experience working in membership services for an association is highly preferred.
- Background in or passion for K-12 education, higher ed, and/or journalism.
- Familiarity with business applications for social media.
- Excellent computer knowledge; proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Google Apps required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and basic CSS/HTML a plus.
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time, full-year staff:
- Competitive Salary & Growth Potential
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
EWA’s office is conveniently located right next to the Cleveland Park Metro station near downtown Washington.
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com. Be sure to include your salary expectations.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.