Media Relations Manager
Milken Family Foundation
The Santa Monica-based Milken Family Foundation seeks a talented and experienced media relations professional for the Media Relations Manager position. Serving as a key member of a highly collaborative Communications team and reporting to the Senior Vice President, this position will be responsible for overseeing and managing strategic planning, day-to-day operations and media outreach for MFF’s initiatives, with a special focus on the Milken Educator Awards, named “the Oscars of Teaching” by Teacher Magazine.
Skills and Experience
- Able to develop and implement strategic communications plans that optimize media coverage and leverage the use of traditional, online and social media platforms to reach key audiences.
- This role requires intense media pitching expertise. Capacity to pitch heavily to national and local TV, radio, print and online publications, adapting to the diverse needs, tones and styles of media markets across the country.
- Flexibility to travel at times when media event pitching demands coordinating media attendance and opportunities on site.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an acute attention to detail.
- Experienced in creating compelling press releases, advisories and alerts, and crafting fresh pitch angles.
- Impressive track record of placing media stories.
- A sophisticated digital thinker who has demonstrated proficiency across various social media platforms. Able to identify opportunities to increase engagement.
- Facile in online research and attuned and responsive to the rapidly changing media landscape.
- Fluent in journalistic best practices, and current tools and approaches to media relations.
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. A self-starter who needs minimal supervision.
- Collaborative team player who can cultivate and sustain enduring relationships with education associates and media across the country.
- Familiarity with Cision, Critical Mention or comparable media management services.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Preferred: Familiarity with and understanding of education issues.
- Willing to work extended hours as needed during peak periods.
- Demonstrates motivation with high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, mass media, journalism or other related field preferred.
- Five-plus years of public and media relations experience.
The Milken Family Foundation is located in a beautiful building just one block from the Third Street Promenade. We offer an excellent benefits program including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan and company gym. E.O.E.
Please email cover letter and resume with salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary history must be stated for candidates to be considered. Only local, direct candidates (no recruiters) and no phone calls please.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.