Media & External Relations Manager
America’s Promise Alliance
About America’s Promise Alliance: America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth. Through its signature effort, the GradNation campaign, America’s Promise harnesses the collective power of 400 national organizations and thousands of community leaders to mobilize Americans to raise the high school graduation rate to 90 percent by 2020.
Devoted to helping create the conditions for success for all young people, including the millions currently being left behind, America’s Promise is powered by the belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed.
Building on the legacy of its Founding Chairman General Colin L. Powell and currently led by Board Chair Alma Powell, America’s Promise is grounded in the framework of the Five Promises – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education and opportunities to serve. To learn more visit www.AmericasPromise.org.
Position Description: America’s Promise Alliance’s communications team seeks a dynamic, high-energy self-starter to help manage external communications efforts. The Manager of Media & External Relations reports to the Director and contributes to the development, direction and implementation of the overall communications strategy for America’s Promise, the GradNation campaign, the Center for Promise (our research institute at Boston University) and other organizational initiatives.
The Manager will help achieve overall team goals by providing support in the following areas: building relationships with media and external leaders; implementing key initiatives; promoting events; supporting corporate partnerships; and working collaboratively across all levels of the organization.
This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications while working for a well-known, national youth development nonprofit.
- Candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism. Graduate degree in related field a plus.
- Position requires at least three years of work experience in a related field.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Candidates should be self-motivated and detail-oriented. Candidates should also possess good organizational and multi-task skills, which will help them to juggle a busy workload and meet deadlines.
- Applicants should have a solid understanding of media relations and digital strategy.
- Applicants should have an ability to work collaboratively with internal cross-functional teams.
- Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office applications required. Working knowledge of media vendors such as Cision, Meltwater and TrendKite desirable.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus (not required).
- A strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
- Work closely with Director to develop and execute communications plans that will expand the America’s Promise, GradNation and Center for Promise earned media footprint.
- Develop media materials, such as press releases, media advisories and media lists for the promotion of America’s Promise, GradNation and Center for Promise initiatives and projects.
- Manage day-to-day communications efforts for the GradNation Community Summits, which fuel local collaborative action to increase high school graduation rates.
- Maintain and develop relationships with media as well as other external partners that will help to increase the influence of the brand and work of its partners.
- Work collaboratively with various internal teams to amplify key messaging externally as appropriate.
- Assist with the placement of op-eds and blogs.
- Assist with the management of listservs.
- Assist with managing all external media vendors (Meltwater, Politico, PR Newswire, etc.)
- Assist with media tracking and reporting.
- Assist with training and supervising interns.
- Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters will be evaluated as writing samples. Please put (position title) in the Subject line.
- America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks national service members, welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise team, and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
- While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Start Date: ASAP – Position open until filled.
Hours: Full-time position – Mon-Fri (9 AM – 6 PM)
Travel: Some travel required
Salary: Based on experience
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.