Manuscript Editor for Education Next
Education Next is looking to hire a part-time manuscript editor to start sometime between February 1 and March 1, 2016.
EdNext is a journal of opinion and research that focuses on K-12 education policy. On a quarterly basis, EdNext publishes a collection of feature stories and research articles in an 88-page journal. Prior to the print publication of each issue, articles are released on the journal’s website www.educationnext.org.
Although no specific location is required, we have a preference for candidates located in the Boston area. This position will be filled on a contract basis, with financial arrangments to be negotiated.
We seek someone with excellent writing, editing, communication, and organizational skills and a substantial knowledge of education policy and research. An openness to school reform and an appreciation for the journal’s mission is necessary. Candidates with previous editorial experience will be given preference. In particular, we seek individuals with knowledge of journal/magazine production; experience covering education and related topics; strong reporting, writing, and editing skills; ability to work collaboratively with authors and editors; and an ability to keep to schedule and to work under deadline pressure.
- Take a major role working with authors and editors to edit the text of approximately four to five articles per issue
- With guidance from the journal’s editor-in-chief, executive editors, and managing editors, maintain the journal’s clear, distinct voice and unwavering focus on high-quality content known for its factual accuracy, evidence-based conclusions, engaging writing and visuals, and lay-friendly presentation
- Collaborate with other editors on headlines, decks and callouts for each article
- Prepare final text of each article, working with copy editor, by production schedule deadlines for art director to design
- Review first and second proofs of articles for errors
- Collate corrections of authors and other editors to first and second proofs, making text changes as needed for art director in InDesign files
- Act as an arbiter of style, helping the journal maintain its high standards
- Participate regularly in conference calls and meetings to discuss new material for the journal
Interested candidates should send both a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.