Managing Editor for Digital Content
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an enthusiastic, knowledgeable and enterprising managing editor to execute the organization’s content strategy and manage the organization’s web and digital communications.
The Managing Editor will work closely with EWA’s staff to ensure the development, presentation and ongoing management of compelling and useful digital resources that contribute to high-quality reporting on education.
The managing editor should share EWA’s commitment to the value of independent professional journalism and embrace its mission to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public.
EWA offers a rewarding work environment and a team of talented colleagues who serve a thriving national community of writers, editors and others committed to top-notch education coverage.
Duties and Responsibilities
- WEB CONTENT – Lead efforts to ensure EWA’s website and
presence across platforms effectively serve our members and the
- Conceptualize, assign, edit and ensure the timely posting of online resources to improve education journalists’ skills and knowledge.
- Manage projects to improve EWA’s website, such as content inventories and other efforts to improve user experience.
- Write, produce and/or edit content or communications to members, speakers, other stakeholders, or the public, including editing EWA’s newsletter.
- Create and help carry out strategies for promoting digital content, including through SEO strategies, social media, and direct contact with members.
- Manage systems to ensure EWA content meets evolving audience and organizational needs.
- Lead efforts to track commitments for content creation and usage and report on page views/downloads to stakeholders.
- Contribute to and participate in a redesign of the organization’s website.
- OTHER PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- Help produce communications and publications related to events and other EWA programs.
- Manage fulfillment of programming commitments under specific grants, including ensuring production, promotion and usage of grant-supported offerings and monitoring progress toward completion.
- Contribute to EWA performance reports for the board and others.
- Carry out other tasks as needed.
Essential Skills and Traits
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent organizational, management, editing, writing, research, and verbal communications abilities.
- Enthusiasm for the organization and mission.
- Willingness to tackle tasks of all sizes promptly and cheerfully.
- Deep understanding of the rapidly changing media landscape.
- Demonstrated proficiency across digital platforms, including social media.
- Ability to thrive under tight deadline pressure.
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of editing and website content management experience preferred.
- Familiarity with open-source content management systems such as WordPress or Drupal a plus.
- Background in journalism, education issues, or, ideally, both areas.
- Expertise in SEO and Social Media management a plus.
- Health/Dental Coverage (Up to 100% of individual premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Life Insurance/AD&D (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit, as well as your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
EWA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission. The Education Writers Association’s vision for excellence in education journalism includes improving the quality of education coverage by attracting, retaining and leveraging the talents of diverse education writers, as well as producing culturally competent resources.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.