Industry Dive is looking for a Managing Editor to manage our daily publications that cover the K-12, Higher Education and Human Resources sectors — K12 Dive, Higher Ed Dive, and HR Dive — and the teams of talented journalists who operate them. The Managing Editor will oversee direction and strategy, establish key initiatives and priorities, and mobilize and coach their teams to achieve long-term results.
We are looking for someone with a background in managing business journalists and digital publications. The ideal candidate is a skilled newsroom manager who can help elevate the ambition and execution of our journalism, manage and help develop people and leaders of all experience levels, and grow the publications’ impact in their markets. The position reports to the Editor-in-Chief.
- Manage several teams of journalists working on daily news publications
- Manage and deploy resources and budgets
- Elevate the ambition and execution of our journalism to drive publication growth Recruit and integrate new team members
- Train, coach and mentor staff of varying experience levels, including emerging leaders and managers within the publication teams
- Excellent editing, writing and communications skills
- Ability to manage and mentor emerging leaders and managers
- Proven ability to lead and coach teams of editors and reporters
- Proven ability to build and grow compelling editorial products that resonate with business readers
- Proven ability to think strategically, plan holistically, shape editorial coverage and mobilize resources
- Ability to understand the needs of niche business audiences
- Expertise in K-12 education, higher education, and/or human resources coverage is preferred
- Strong knowledge of digital news and business and/or trade journalism
- At least 8 years of business journalism or other relevant experience
- At least 4 years of experience as a manager
- Bachelor’s degree or better in journalism, English or similar field
Not all candidates will check all of the requirements listed above, and that’s OK — we still want to hear from you. Industry Dive strives to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment, and applicants who belong to traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Industry Dive is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
If you feel comfortable doing so please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Industry Dive will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.
About Industry Dive
Industry Dive is a leading business journalism company. More than 11 million decision-makers across 20 competitive industries rely on its exclusive insight and analysis delivered through 23 publications. Industry Dive was founded in 2012 to provide business leaders with the information they need to move industries forward. Our team of reporters, editors, designers, and marketers deliver insights and programs that spark innovation, fuel growth and shape agendas in every industry we cover.
Industry Dive was selected as a “Best Place to Work” by the Washington Post in 2020, 2019, 2018, and 2017 and by the Washington Business Journal in 2017, 2016 and 2015.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.