K12, Inc Seeks Communications & Media Relations Director
K12, Inc Seeks Communications & Media
K12, Inc is seeking a communications and media relations manager. The Communications & Media Relations Director manages and helps to develop external communications that promote the company’s vision, culture, business plans and brand identity in a manner that fosters good will and a positive business environment.
K12’s Communications & Media Relations Director manages and helps to develop external communications that promote the company’s vision, culture, business plans and brand identity in a manner that fosters good will and a positive business environment.
Reporting to and working with the Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, and working with outside agencies, the position plays a key role in translating media strategy into clear, consistent and effective messaging for all audiences by cultivating relationships with local and national media outlets, trade publications, education reporters, business and technology writers, thought leaders, and others. The position will manage the company’s relationship with its public relations firms, and ensuring integration and cohesion of the company’s traditional and new media. The position also provides support for external communications to Marketing, Human Resources, Investor Relations and Public Affairs.
The communications director will:
- Collaborate with the Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, outside agencies and other stakeholders to develop full scale, strategic communications plans, manage media relations and crisis communications; Develops, implements and oversees campaigns that meet the objectives of the company, schools and clients;
- Manage media research, outreach and interview requests; Develops executive communications and presentations; Helps coach/prepare executives for interviews and other public speaking;
- Act as a spokesperson for the company;
- Draft and distribute company and school press releases, company statements, executive speeches. Manages the company’s relationship and administers the budget for public/media relations firms and other service vendors;
- Serve as a strategic communications advisor to executive management as well as Marketing, Human Resources, Investor Relations and Public Affairs;
- Identify emerging public issues that may affect the company and works to proactively address; Develops talking points, white papers and other materials to support media relations and issues management;
- Coordinate the speakers bureau, forums, events, media and other public opportunities; coordinate with key industry organizations for the common good;
- Oversee daily media reporting; versee development of social media platforms; steward brand management.
Minimum required qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations,
communications, marketing or a related field AND
Ten (10) years of experience in strategic communications and public relations utilizing traditional and new media avenues with responsibilities including planning, company spokesperson, crisis communications, copywriting and online platforms OR
Equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
Other required experience, knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills tailored for specific purposes, such as news releases, executive speeches and presentations, interviews, video scripts, and articles
- Demonstrated networking abilities possessing skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with media to achieve high impact placements
- Strategic thinker with the ability to translate business objectives into integrated communication strategies and tactics that drive business performance
- Proven success in project and vendor management, leveraging time and resources efficiently and effectively
- Innovative thinker, problem-solver and communicator especially in regards to utilizing new media technologies
- Ability to collaborate with senior leadership to address crisis communications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint ); Proficiency with public relations research/tracking software, social media platforms, and basic HTML
- Ability to travel approximately up to 30% of the time
- Ability to pass required background check
- Experience working at a large or medium size global, public company and/or experience working on a large change initiative
- Experience working with educational institutions developing/implementing communications strategy
Interested candidates should visit http://www.k12.com/careers to apply.
EOE and Drug-Free Workplace
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.