Crain’s Cleveland Business is seeking a highly motivated, multi-media journalist to join our editorial team as a higher education reporter working 40 hours a week for two years. This position is in partnership with the nonprofit news organization Open Campus and is supported by the Joyce Foundation.
The journalist must have a strong desire to tell in-depth, feature-length news and analysis stories that explain the trends, issues and innovations happening in higher education, primarily in Northeast Ohio. The region is home to more than 50 colleges and universities, from four community colleges to four Division 1 universities and from small liberal arts colleges to larger research-focused universities. This person will also occasionally produce news and analysis on the state and Midwest regional level.
Applicants also should be just as comfortable breaking news as writing trend-based enterprise stories.
Candidates must have exemplary reporting and writing skills on real time deadlines. They also must possess excellent people skills and collaborate with other editorial team members regularly.
- Generate feature-length news and analysis stories as well as breaking news through independent reporting
- Maintain strong, foundational understanding of important topics and players on the higher education beat
- Ability to work successfully on multiple content platforms: print, online, broadcast and social media
- Work cooperatively with other members of the Crain’s Cleveland Business staff on various special projects and reports
- Ability to perform live interviews and/or moderation of events and forums
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of experience in a professional newsroom
- The ideal candidate has some knowledge of business reporting and education
- Demonstrate a passion for long-form explanatory journalism as well as breaking news
- Strong interviewing, reporting and writing skills
- A keen eye for detail and nuance with the ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas on tight deadline
- Experience with multiple platforms
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
- Web publishing, multimedia and social media experience
- Interest and skills in database journalism
- Audio and video reporting and photography experience a plus
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Now in its fourth decade of service to Northeast Ohio, Crain’s Cleveland Business is the preeminent source for news, analysis, commentary and data essential for top executives and business owners. Named Ohio’s best business publication repeatedly, Crain’s Cleveland Business is much more than a valued, trusted weekly business print publication. Each workday, the editorial team produces two digital news reports that are opened at rates unheard of in email market communication, and weekly generates industry-specific e-newsletters – covering real estate, small business, middle market, health care, manufacturing, sports business and staffing news. Its editors and reporters specialize in all major sectors of the region’s economy: real estate, manufacturing, health care, finance, government, law, higher education, sports business and more. Busy executives and managers know they can rely on Crain’s to get business news that is simply not available from any other source in the regional market.
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation, Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else. As a privately held company, we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work. With an Audience First focus and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization — a profitable, well established publishing leader.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.