EdWeek Market Brief, a business-focused publication that covers the K-12 marketplace, is seeking an intern to help with data journalism and visualization.
About Education Week
Education Week (www.edweek.org), America’s most trusted source of K-12 education news, analysis, and opinion, is a digital-first news operation with a nearly 40-year track record in print and online journalism that is dedicated to raising the level of awareness and understanding among professionals and the public of important issues in American education. We are expert. We are principled. We are welcoming. We are passionate. A leading authority in an ever-evolving space, we bring nearly four decades of experience to our journalism and research without bias or agenda. We offer services that create real impact, providing accessible content and resources that ignite conversations and spark action across the K-12 ecosystem.
Education Week’s parent company, Editorial Projects in Education (EPE), is a non-profit media organization that serves the nation’s leading K-12 policymakers, educators, researchers, marketers and other influencers with informed, independent and highly-respected journalism and research, with the goal of improving U.S. K-12 education.
This internship is for 22 hours of work per week. Compensation will be an hourly wage of $13.50 per hour.
This position requires solid reporting and writing skills, as well as experience in data visualization, either through professional experience or academic studies. Experience with frameworks like Infogram and Flourish is a plus. The intern would assist the editorial and data-visualization teams of EdWeek Market Brief with both news reporting on the intersection of business and education, as well as longer-term projects.
- Producing charts, graphics, and other data-visualizations using frameworks to be embedded in stories, to run as stand-alone pieces, and to be used in webinars and other presentations.
- Writing stories based on original research conducted by EdWeek Market Brief and the EdWeek Research Center.
- Integrating charts, graphics, and data visualizations with Market Brief’s website.
- Working closely with researchers on the EdWeek Research team to analyze data and conceive of how to present it visually.
- Helping create new data visualization features, such as data-resource hubs, on Market Brief’s website; and
- Contributing to special research projects.
- Experience in data journalism, and an interest in education reporting and/or business reporting.
- Strong news judgment: ability to recognize news and trends in education and conceptualize appropriate stories and other content with an eye to business and education audiences.
- Skilled research, reporting, and writing abilities.
- Curiosity about reader analytics and the ability to use data about audience trends to steer content.
- Strong desire and ability to embrace and learn new technologies.
- Experience with Wordpress is a plus.
Benefits and Perks
Education Week is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to The Capital Crescent Trail. However, our staff is working remotely for the foreseeable future due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. We value innovation, leadership, and forward-thinking, and provide a friendly, intellectual, challenging work environment where employees can thrive and grow professionally.
Education Week is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all individuals to apply. All applications received will be considered on merit.
If you feel comfortable doing so please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Education Week will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.
Click HERE to apply!
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.