at Rustic Pathways
Rustic Pathways is a student travel organization which offers the world’s finest experiential education, community service, foreign language, and adventure programs. Our destinations stretch from the white-sand beaches of Fiji to the rainforest canopies of Costa Rica, the high Himalayan mountains to the Great Barrier Reef, and many places in between. We provide superior quality travel and service in some of the most welcoming countries around the world. Rustic Pathways demands professionalism and integrity across all of our operations, insists on quality in all aspects of our programs, and places strong emphasis on the safety and well-being of our students and staff. We empower students through innovative and responsible travel experiences to positively impact lives and communities around the world.
We’re looking for an Instructional Designer to join our Program Staffing and Training Team on a temporary, part-time basis to elevate our existing program leader training. This training includes both online modules as well as in-person training, and covers a wide variety of topics — from cultural competency to program safety to expense reporting. You’ll work closely with our Program Staffing and Training Team for six months from December 2017 through June 2018. During that time you will be responsible for auditing and improving our program leader training to ensure it results in the identified outcomes and core competencies required to lead our student travel programs. As an expert in adult learning, you’ll adjust and re-design both our online training content and our facilitator-led training materials. You’ll lean on existing feedback and identified training needs, as well as your own expertise, to create training content and ensure success in delivery. Understanding the diversity of program leaders and our global operations, as well as how program leaders learn, is essential for your success. This position reports directly to the Director of Program Staffing and Training.
- Conduct a needs assessment by auditing the existing online and in-person program leader training and reviewing all course content and training materials.
- Review all survey data and feedback gathered from various groups of stakeholders, including learners (program leaders), training facilitators (Country Management Teams), and in-house content experts to develop a list of prioritized changes.
- Improve online program leader training through the design of new material, edits to existing material, and implementation of best practices in online learning.
- Design an online training that reflects an understanding of the diversity of learners and groups of learners, with particular attention the varying levels of English language and computer literacy amongst Rustic Pathways program leaders.
- Create and improve upon modes of assessment, such as quizzes, to measure the effectiveness of each online course.
- Improve in-person program leader training through the design of new material, edits to existing materials, and implementation of best practices in dynamic facilitator-led training.
- Design a participative in-person training that reflects an understanding of the diversity of learners and groups of learners, with particular emphasis on roleplaying, simulations, and case studies.
- Collaborate with our marketing team and manage the redesign of our training materials for facilitators in order to increase understanding and ease-of-use.
- Copyedit all training content and materials to ensure clarity, comprehension, and adherence to the Rustic Pathways brand guidelines.
- Remotely train Country Management Teams on implementation of in-person training and ensure they are set up for successful facilitation and delivery.
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university in adult education, organizational leadership, learning science, or instructional design.
- MA or M.Ed in training and development preferred, or equivalent experience and demonstrated application of training strategies.
- Coursework in experience design, information design, or curriculum design.
- 3-5 years experience in web-based training, curriculum design, and instructor-led training design for diverse global audiences.
- Previous experience managing curriculum or instructional design projects.
- Previous experience designing and managing content in Litmos, or a similar e-learning platform/learning management system.
- Working knowledge of Rustic Pathways program operations, or 1-3 years experience in the student travel or experiential education industry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong writing skills, specifically as it relates to copy, instructional text, and audio and video scripts.
- Impeccable organization and project management skills
- Passionate about staff development
- Excellent speaking, listening, and presenting skills
- Demonstrated adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to creatively adapt to a variety of training environments
- Strong knowledge of instructional strategies and design models
- Strong knowledge of innovative training structures and best practices in accessibility and usability
- Ability to apply advanced adult learning theories into a practical, inclusive training strategy
- Proven history of working independently to follow a project plan and deliver on objectives with limited management
- Basic knowledge of streaming audio and video, file types, and formats.
- Basic sound and video production skills and/or familiarity with iMovie, Final Cut, or another video editing software
- This is a remote position with the option of working from one of Rustic Pathways’ regional offices (San Francisco, CA or Cleveland, OH).
Application deadline: October 27, 2017
Please apply directly here : http://jobs.rusticpathways.com/apply/qsCL5PzhFF/Instructional-Designer
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.