Higher Education Reporter
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s education team is seeking a seasoned reporter to cover Georgia’s robust higher education system, its trends, issues, personalities and policies. The candidate should have the political smarts to cover and analyze state-level politics and the ability to write A1 and Sunday enterprise, as well as the ability to turn a quick digital post and tell multimedia stories online. This reporter will work closely with others on the education team, and at times the capitol team, developing and executing strong ideas aimed at holding political and university officials accountable, and helping clearly explain to parents, students and teachers the forces shaping the present and future of Georgia’s technical schools, colleges and flagship universities.
- Execute complex investigative/watchdog stories, using public records and databases and by burning shoe leather and building a superior source list.
- Produce a consistent stream of daily stories for online and print.
- With all stories, report and write with urgency, fairness, authority and tenacity.
- Quickly self-publish clear, concise and accurate short stories and use social media to promote distribution and readership.
- Understand and show mastery of using of digital tools and social media to enhance the display of stories and to find and grow digital readership.
- Produce smartphone photos and videos and collect data and other information and create ideas to use the data to use maps, charts and other supplemental content.
- Manage time and stories effectively, juggling long-term and short-term work.
- Build strong relationships with students, teachers, administrators, state politicians.
- Understand and use Georgia and federal sunshine laws to obtain cogent documents.
- Have a clear understanding of libel law and able to recognize and flag potential legal issues that could expose the AJC to litigation over libel, invasion of privacy, copyright or other issues.
- Demonstrate strong research skills and show how research led to results.
- Communicate and work effectively with the public and supervisors, and collaborate effectively.
- Consistently meets deadlines set for print and digital needs.
- Use or learn the Methode content management system and other publishing and social media tools for the production and digital display of stories on multiple platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three or more years of reporting experience.
- Demonstrated mastery of the craft. Must provide work samples with your application to be considered for this position (no more than 7, please).
Cox Media Group (CMG) is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that also includes the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations; more than 60 radio stations; six daily newspapers, more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and nearly 15 million radio listeners.
Cox Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Veterans/Women/Disabled.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.