Freelance Writers and Journalists
XQ Institute is the nation’s leading organization dedicated to rethinking the high school experience so that every student graduates ready to succeed in life. We work in communities throughout the country, with individual schools and entire school systems, to help them dream big about what high school could be, turn their innovative ideas into action, and create more rigorous and equitable schools. We share what’s working with other schools and districts, so they can tailor new models to the needs of their own students and communities. We know that seeing is believing, so we meet people where they are to share the importance and possibility of change through listening, learning, and storytelling. And our open-source tools, based on research and design thinking, empower people to take up the challenge of transforming their high schools with a unifying goal: unlocking the American promise of a high-quality education for everyone.
We’re recruiting a small team of freelance writers and journalists who are as fascinated by the challenges of high school transformation as we are—people who can tell a great story, pull in connections from research, and shine a light on how high schools are changing today. If you’re a writer who can see what’s really happening in a high school, understand the connection to education policy and data, dig into trends, and draw compelling insights from the experiences of educators, students, and families, we want to hear from you. Our audience is primarily innovation-minded educators, but we also serve policymakers, students, and families. Freelancers will work closely with the senior editorial director and editorial manager to define and execute a strong editorial vision.
What makes you a good fit?
- At least three years of experience writing for media outlets. A strong emphasis on storytelling, narrative stories, and research-informed insights.
- Experience writing about K-12 education with preference given to those with experience covering and writing about American high schools.
- A strong familiarity with the landscape of education and education policy: knowledge of who the players are, what the biggest issues are in the field, etc.
- A strong and dedicated commitment to education equity and covering topics like opportunity gaps and systemic inequities with nuance and sophistication.
- Interest in not only writing to assignment but also pitching story ideas based on tracking of and awareness to related issues in the field.
- Up-to-date knowledge of key reports, education data, and trends in education and high schools.
- Ability to write about education data clearly and concisely for case-making and issue awareness.
- Ability and interest to connect XQ’s work to issues and ideas across the education landscape at large.
- Willingness to byline and ghostwrite as appropriate.
- Synthesize insights and lessons from XQ archival materials—videos, written materials, recordings to generate a series of articles.
- Capture the five-year lessons from XQ schools across the country by interviewing school leaders, educators, and students in partnership with XQ staff.
- Participate in XQ events and visit XQ schools to capture stories and personal experiences first-hand.
- Write articles or short reports that highlight key findings from focus groups, surveys, etc.
- Partner with XQ’s Data and Research team to create “data storytelling” features as articles and social media posts.
- Write short, engaging case studies that illustrate examples of XQ Learner Goals and Design Principles in action.
This is a part-time contract position for up to 20 hours/week that will be reviewed in three-month increments. Compensation is hourly and commensurate with experience. XQ Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Send a resume, cover letter, writing samples and links to any published pieces to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.