As a freelance writer for BestColleges, you will craft original content covering a variety of higher education topics, including rankings and degree content, career guides, college and career planning resources, student/campus life blog posts, and bootcamps and non-degree educational pathways. You will also work with our editors and copy editors to ensure that all content is concise, grammatically correct, and easy to understand.
Our freelance writers are capable of writing for diverse audiences, with a keen understanding of how information and ideas are received by students from all backgrounds.
- Write content according to an in-house style guide (based on AP style)
- Adhere to in-house guidelines for branding, tone, and voice
- Adhere to sourcing and fact-checking guidelines
- Format content based on guidelines and best practices
- Read feedback from copy editors and incorporate suggestions into future work
- Meet requested deadlines and maintain open and prompt communication with editors and copy editors
- Professional experience as a freelance writer (2+ years preferred)
- Experience writing copy for websites
- A commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- An astute sense of appropriate style, voice, tone, and content flow
- Experience working with a style guide (AP style preferred)
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Strong grasp of fact-checking and sourcing standards
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude
Please note that at least two writing samples and/or a link to your writing portfolio is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will be unable to respond to every applicant.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.