EWA Needs Fall 2019 Intern
The Education Writers Association (EWA), the national professional organization representing and supporting education journalists, is seeking an enthusiastic and mission-driven Intern who will thrive in a challenging and dynamic work environment. Our paid interns play a key role in conveying the value of EWA to our members and other stakeholders.
Our interns should share EWA’s commitment to the value of independent professional journalism and embrace EWA’s mission to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public.
Located in Washington, D.C., EWA offers a rewarding work environment and a team of talented colleagues who serve a thriving national community of journalists and others committed to top-notch education coverage.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct media tracking of EWA members’ stories (training provided)
- Assist staff members with outreach to news outlets and sources
- Identify and post articles, reports and data to EWA’s website
- Assist with event planning
- Provide other assistance as needed, including database management, research projects and writing articles for the website.
Required Skills and Experience
- Open to an undergraduate, graduate, or recently graduated students interested in journalism, education, or non-profit management.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate recommendations
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills; effective verbal communication skills
- Takes initiative, demonstrates creativity, personable and has a high level of professionalism
- Comfort with working independently, as well as part of a team; proactively collaborate with EWA staff, members and other stakeholders on relevant projects
- Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain data with accuracy and thoroughness
- Excellent computer knowledge; proficiency in MS Office Suite and web content management systems.
Compensation: $14 per hour. Send a resume and a detailed cover letter explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com. EWA interns are independent contractors, not employees. This is not a telecommuting position. No phone calls, please.
Apply by Aug. 1.
EWA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.