Engagement Editor (Ed Lab)
The Seattle Times
We’re looking for an experienced Engagement Editor who can lead our education team’s award-winning effort to spark and nurture constructive conversation in Washington state, and seek out community voices to improve our journalism and expand our audience. If you’re passionate about making newspapers more inclusive and better connected to their communities, this might be your next step.
As part of this trailblazing group, you would contribute to Education Lab, a community-funded project that takes a Solutions Journalism approach to public education.
A typical day might include polishing our digital presence, shoring up partnerships, planning events big and small, helping our team of reporters better talk to readers, contributing to grant reports, editing student contributors, analyzing progress, promoting stories online, reaching new audiences and thinking creatively about how to improve any of the above tasks. You’ll also own a weekly newsletter, and occasionally report stories based on community interest. We’re tasked with experimenting, so we’re looking for a balance of pragmatism and cutting-edge innovation in this grant-funded, 21-month position.
Successful candidates will have some understanding of education systems and a proven track record of building and expanding communities, online and in person. Our engagement editor will learn a lot on the fly, be flexible and nimble, detail-oriented and a good listener/collaborator.
- Experience: Three to five years of experience in audience engagement, preferably for a daily newspaper or a website.
- Education: Undergraduate degree in journalism or communications, or combination of related professional work experience.
- History of successful event planning and execution.
- Track record of forging and cultivating community partnerships.
- High comfort level with speaking in public and media appearances.
- Cultural competence when interacting with diverse communities.
- Understanding of web analytics and experience designing and executing social media campaigns.
- Experience with publishing tools such as WordPress and Marketing Cloud.
- Familiarity with audience engagement tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hearken, Crowdtangle and Groundsource.
- Fluency in another language is a plus.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Click here to apply
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.