Education Technology Reporter
EdSurge is looking for a savvy reporter who is passionate about the people and ideas that shape how learners learn and teachers teach. The reporter will cover the growing community of education entrepreneurs, tech-smart educators and the students they serve. The ideal candidate will feel equally energized reporting on big technology companies (think Google, Amazon, etc) and schools and classrooms.
We welcome creative, confident and concise writers who can communicate complex ideas to our audience. Not every article will be 700 words long; sometimes charts and graphs do a better job at telling the story. (And yes, a touch of humor helps, too!)
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- How can technology dramatically improve teaching and learning for all teachers and students?
- What’s really working? What’s not? Where is this rapidly evolving industry headed?
- What do schools, companies and investors need to know?
In this job you will:
- Cover daily news and announcements.
- Research and produce original stories.
- Rock deadlines.
- Edit articles from staff writers.
- Assist in the creation and delivery of weekly newsletters, podcasts and other media.
- Develop new ways to grow our online audience.
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- 2+ years of professional writing experience for a media outlet.
- A passion for education and learning—and curiosity about the role technology is playing.
- Outstanding writing and editing chops.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Basic understanding of business and finance.
- Bonus: Familiarity with image editing and data visualization tools.
EdSurge has offices in Burlingame, CA and Oakland, CA. Both locations are public transit-friendly.
EdSurge is a high growth, venture-backed news and information resource organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to connect the users, buyers and builders of education technology to close the opportunity gap by getting the right tools into classrooms. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not?
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.