Education Reporting Intern — Product, Data and Design – Summer 2021
The Hechinger Report
The Hechinger Report is looking for a journalism intern interested in pushing the boundaries of digital publishing. Our portfolio of digital journalism has taken public data and transformed it into viral stories and easily understood graphics and interactives that untangle complex issues in K-12 and higher education for students and parents.
The intern will be a team member on an interactive, data-driven journalism product that will either inform our audiences or be used internally to enhance and strengthen Hechinger Report’s investigative and explanatory reporting on education. The product that is produced in this work may also be published by one of our media partners.
Over the 12-week internship, the intern will produce at least one interactive product or app alongside the data visualization and interactives developer, with the support of editors and reporters. The intern will contribute to the project in a way that aligns with their experience and strengths, whether that is digital design, web development, or data management and analysis.
This intern can be based anywhere in the US, reporting to a staffer in NYC. Pay is $650/week.
- Bachelor’s degree, (many interns come from journalism backgrounds but graduates with computer science and data analysis backgrounds with an interest in journalism invited to apply)
- Proven experience working in collaboration with a larger team
- Knowledge of national education issues
- Enjoys creative problem solving
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Digital design (such as Adobe XD, Illustrator, Corel etc.)
- Data analysis (such as R, Tableau, Python, etc.)
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and portfolio of work to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please tell us what interests you about digital journalism and how you have built your technical skills.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.