Education Reporter (Paying for School)
U.S. News & World Report
The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time reporter based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for writing consumer-focused articles for usnews.com/education.
The beat will be focused on paying for college and graduate school, including college savings, financial aid, student loans and scholarships, aimed at parents and prospective students. The position does not involve breaking news coverage or reporting on education policy.
This person will write multiple online stories a week and peer edit other online content for the Education section. In addition, this person will post stories and create multimedia using our internal content management system.
We’re looking for a candidate with extensive background in covering higher education, particularly with experience writing for the Web on topics related to paying for school. Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks, are musts.
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a minimum of 10 years of online reporting experience
- Keen interest in and knowledge of U.S. higher education, including undergrad and grad financing
- High comfort level working with data
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Basic understanding of HTML and Web production via content management systems
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide two writing clips and three references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please send all materials to email@example.com and include “Education Reporter” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.