Education Reporter (Graduate Schools) — Washington, D.C.
U.S. News & World Report
The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time reporter based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for writing consumer-focused content for usnews.com/education. The beat will be focused on graduate school, including MBA, law and medical school programs, aimed at an audience of prospective students. The position does not involve breaking news coverage or reporting on education policy.
Our online articles, typically around 700-750 words, explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. See example coverage here: http://www.usnews.com/topics/subjects/graduate_schools
This person will write multiple online stories a week and peer edit other online content for the Education section. In addition, this person will post stories and create multimedia (such as slideshows and interactive content) using our internal content management system.
The ideal candidate will have a background in covering higher education, with preference given to those with experience writing for the web on topics related graduate admissions. Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks, are musts.
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a minimum of four years of online reporting experience
- Keen interest in and knowledge of U.S. higher education
- High comfort level working with data
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Basic understanding of HTML and Web production via content management systems
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide two relevant writing clips and three references, in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please visit: https://apply.hrmdirect.com/resumedirect/ApplyOnline/Apply.aspx?req_id=enc-16.6273204470026273&source=401173-CS-13314
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision, and 401(k) plan.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.