U.S. News & World Report
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you’ll be responsible for writing education advice content that is mainly aimed at parents and students and covers a wide range of higher education and K-12 topics. You’ll also contribute to the editorial coverage of our education rankings, including Best Colleges, Grad Schools, High Schools, Online Programs and Global Universities.
As an education reporter, you’ll write and update articles and slideshows that help people make decisions about their education. Higher education topics may include choosing a college, getting into college, paying for college, financial aid options, college majors and graduate programs. Many of these stories will be based on data collected by our internal data team. You’ll also periodically write about K-12 topics, such as classroom instruction, private schools, special education and social-emotional learning, also with a focus on advice for parents.
As a multifaceted reporter, you’ll use analytics tools to monitor the performance of our content and periodically write or contribute to our twice-monthly newsletters.
You’ll also work closely with digital producers, SEO experts and rankings data analysts.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble reporter who is skilled at juggling multiple assignments, meeting deadlines, working with data and explaining complex topics to a broad audience. We are looking for a self-starter who prizes accuracy and thrives in a fast-paced team environment.
Applicants must provide three writing clips in addition to a résumé and cover letter.
You should definitely have:
- Strong research, reporting, writing and analytical skills.
- Two or more years of professional reporting and writing experience, preferably in an online news environment.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- Interest in higher education and K-12 topics and advice-oriented writing.
- Experience using data in reporting.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams.
- Familiarity with content management systems, web production and social media.
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if you had:
- Expertise in higher education or K-12.
- Strong understanding of SEO and experience using SEO tools.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics.
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters.
- Experience using Google Docs and Sheets.
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity.
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth.
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training.
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers.
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: U.S. News & World Report is a publisher of news and information that empowers people to make better, more informed decisions about important issues affecting their lives.
EOE STATEMENT: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.