The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press
An award-winning, multi-platform news operation with a growing audience — seeks an aggressive, digitally savvy education reporter who understands how to use all the tools in the journalism toolbox. This journalist will be part of a two-person education team and may also cover some of our many universities, when appropriate.
Here’s why you should work for us:
• We’re one of the largest news operations in Virginia, with coverage from Richmond to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. That’s a big audience — looking for both statewide and hyperlocal coverage.
• We aim for ambitious journalism that makes an impact on Virginians’ lives.
• Our coverage area includes the world’s largest Navy base, many cities and miles of beaches.
• We are passionate about what we do here and are committed to both serving readers and helping our journalists develop new skills.
Here’s what we ask in return:
• You must have strong news judgment, a collaborative approach and a desire to get the story swiftly and accurately.
• You appreciate the depth an education beat offers readers: investigative pieces about systemic issues, explanatory stories about budgets and features about students and teachers.
• You must be able to thrive in our fast-paced operation and capable of producing a variety of content: photos and videos, tweets, short updates for web, and print stories with deep context.
A college degree is required. At least two years’ experience in daily journalism is preferred.
The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press is a progressive news operation with a focus on communication and collaboration at all levels. Working with fellow reporters, photographers and senior editors is a typical day on the job. Input and creativity are not just welcome but required. In this ever-changing media landscape, a sense of humor also helps. Please include work samples with application. Follow this link to apply.
Tribune Publishing Company is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago. Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets. Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media and business services. Learn more at https://careers-tribpub.icims.com/jobs/4513/education-reporter/job
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.