U.S. News & World Report
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to write consumer-focused articles and slideshows for the Education section that provide actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education, how to pay for it and various other topics relevant to prospective students and parents.
This reporter will spend roughly half of his or her time focused on the paying for college and graduate school beat, including college savings, financial aid, federal and private student loans and scholarships. The other half of the reporter’s time will be focused on other broader areas of education, based on editorial and business needs. This could include advice for parents of K-12 students, analysis of U.S. News Education rankings and other higher education advice topics. This position is part of our Consumer Advice team and does not involve breaking news coverage or reporting on education policy.
Working closely with a talented team of in-house editors, reporters, digital producers and SEO analysts, this reporter will write and/or update multiple online pieces a week – including reported stories, slideshows and data-driven content – using our content management system. You’ll likely also have the chance to curate and write newsletters, as well as work with our communications team to promote your content on social media and to other media outlets.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble reporter who is skilled at juggling several tasks at once and understands how to employ SEO best practices to help our advice content reach a larger audience.
As part of the job, you’ll:
- Write and/or update multiple pieces a week, including reported stories, slideshows and data-driven content.
- Use SEO and analytics tools to develop story ideas and optimize content for search.
- Use Google Analytics to monitor performance of content and inform editorial decisions.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and three published clips for consideration: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3785746
You should definitely have:
- At least 3 years of online reporting experience
- Experience covering higher education, paying for school, student loans, scholarships or related topics
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Experience working with data and using data in your reporting
- Experience employing SEO best practices and using SEO tools
- Ability to prioritize assignments and consistently meet deadlines
- Prior experience using AP style
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters
- Prior experience writing and publishing content in a CMS
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset! We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.