The News-Press and Naples Daily News
The News-Press and Naples Daily News in Southwest Florida, part of Gannett Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, seek an education reporter who is an ambitious self-starter passionate about making a difference and holding public officials accountable.
This reporter, part of a team of two reporters covering education in Southwest Florida, will focus on Lee County, which has one of the state’s largest public school districts with about 96,000 students, 13,000 employees and a $1.9 billion budget. The beat runs the gamut from early childhood education and K-12 to Florida Gulf Coast University and other smaller colleges in the region. Lee County is home to the cities of Fort Myers and Cape Coral.
This reporter will focus on enterprising reporting and investigative coverage, digging into the issues and not settling for simplistic answers. This reporter will follow the money (and those who do the spending) — assuring readers their taxes are being spent wisely — and tell those stories in engaging and innovative ways and on a variety of digital and print platforms. This reporter will help to dissect problems in the schools and celebrate those things that make them better. Through a combination of quick hits and deep dives, this reporter will challenge the status quo, highlight solutions, and tell stories of extraordinary teachers and students. The beat requires government watchdog, features, and breaking news reporting skills.
The best candidates will have a collaborative spirit and will know how to work with colleagues in newsrooms across the state that are part of the USA TODAY NETWORK to identify relevant issues and trends.
This multimedia journalist should have a track record of finding great stories and be experienced in using social media both in reporting and in promoting them. He or she should be adept at source development; have experience using public records, databases, and other digital-focused tools; bring a rock-solid knowledge of AP style; and demonstrate a proven ability to meet daily and weekend deadlines.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· 2 to 3+ years of professional experience; strong data or investigative internship will be considered.
· Experience with public records is required. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
· Speed and fluency with digital platforms and content management systems. This is a must.
· Understanding of how to use social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit and how to tell multimedia stories.
· Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
· Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under intense deadline pressure.
· Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
· Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
· A curious mind and conversational approach to writing. This is a role that prizes communication, so clarity is key.
· Fast at writing and ability to take coaching well. We will coach for writing style and tone.
· Organizational skills.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We offer a competitive base salary, benefits, and career growth opportunities.
Qualified and interested journalists, please apply here with a single document with all your materials combined – (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio links, etc.). The application only allows one document upload, so please provide your materials as a single attachment. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.