St. Louis Public Radio
Open through July 11, 2021
The St. Louis area has a complicated, storied and convoluted education system. In other words, it’s a great region for education reporters!
St. Louis Public Radio is looking for an education reporter who can explain arcane policy problems in engaging ways, who loves to connect issues to the people impacted the most and who can distinguish between public policy lip service and authentic attempts to change things.
We are an innovative, ambitious newsroom, so the ideal candidate should be comfortable reporting, writing and producing news stories for the radio and web.
This is an amazing opportunity for a creative, entrepreneurial, energetic reporter who is eager to tackle the region’s complicated education news. A great candidate would also have a record of journalistic excellence, a passion for storytelling and an enthusiasm for trying new forms of telling stories – be it online, in social media, on the radio or even in person.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be able to identify relevant, education stories, put them into context and explain them in an engaging manner
- Have the capacity to understand issues relevant to the region.
- Have a background in education reporting or be familiar with trends and issues.
- Be willing to experiment with multiple forms of storytelling, for the web, the radio and mobile.
- Help foster community discussion around education issues that are impacting the region.
- Build a robust network of sources to help inform coverage and break new ground in our education reporting.
- Write scripts, host, produce and mix audio features.
- Research, report, edit and produce individual stories and interviews for radio and online.
A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, education or a related field is required. The candidate must have a minimum of two years reporting experience, preferably in a daily newsroom. Successful previous public radio reporting and audio digital editing experience is highly desirable. We are a daily newsroom, which means the hours are not necessarily regular.
Salary Range: $49,000-$65,000/annual
A sample audio story and a published work sample are required for consideration. Please also include a resume and a cover letter outlining your qualifications and your ideas for how this job can best serve St. Louis area residents.
St. Louis Public Radio is a service of the University of Missouri – St. Louis. In order to be considered for this position or to view the posting in its entirety, please visit UMSL’s employment site and complete an online application. Job ID: 37242. For additional information, contact the supervising editor Maria Altman at email@example.com.
We are committed to building a newsroom demographically representative of the St. Louis region. STLPR and UMSL are equal opportunity employers. We enthusiastically encourage members of groups underrepresented in public media to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.