EdSource Today, California’s pre-eminent source of news and analysis about public education, is seeking a fulltime reporter to cover some of the major reforms being implemented in the state and nation.
Ideally, the candidate is a creative and resourceful writer with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling articles that enrapt readers and reveals why things are as they are, why they work or don’t work.
She/he will report and write on potentially the most significant changes occurring in public education in a generation and have the opportunity to be part of an authoritative source of information and data considered a “must-read” by policymakers, influencers and a broader audience interested in independent, unbiased reporting across the full spectrum of education issues from pre-K to college.
Applicants should have at least 5 years of professional media experience, preferably working with daily journalism publications, the ability to write cleanly, report aggressively and grasp the larger context of issues. She/he should also be adept at tackling long-form stories.
Qualifications sought include:
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats
- Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks
- Able to deliver high-quality, accurate copy on deadline
- Background in education reporting, children’s issues or public policy preferred but is not an absolute requirement
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as part of a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including news, analysis and enterprise stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution through EdSource’s media partners
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience
In addition to a competitive salary and the opportunity to do meaningful, challenging work, EdSource provides:
- a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D 100% paid by employer
- a retirement savings plan
- generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year
Send a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of three professional references, links to your social media accounts and links (or attachments) to 3-5 examples of your written/digital work to Lanita Pace-Hinton, deputy director, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title, Education Writer, in subject line.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.