The Las Vegas Review-Journal
Job Description: Clark County education reporter
The Las Vegas Review-Journal is looking for an ambitious, inquisitive, experienced reporter to join its three-person education team — one to cover higher ed and two to cover the Clark County School District. This is a challenging job that focuses on myriad issues surrounding the nation’s fifth-largest district, its 357 schools and 320,000 students, and one that is facing a controversial state-mandated reorganization.
- Produce breaking news copy, features and enterprise content to appear in print and online. Shoot photos and video. Actively participate in social media efforts.
- Prepare content to the highest standards of accuracy, fairness and completeness, and “clean” enough to post online without editing.
- Build personal contacts with Clark County school district officials and their staffs.
- Work closely with the Review-Journal’s database editor to understand the school district’s performance in key measures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of educational issues, processes and budgeting.
- Three-plus years reporting experience.
- Experience with online publishing, social media and video.
- Ability to see beyond the daily news to develop hard-hitting, compelling enterprise.
- Expertise in producing document-driven stories using the federal Freedom of Information Act.
- Ability to write with verve and make potentially dry public policy stories come alive by finding compelling human angles and real people.
- Experience working with other journalists on team projects.
The Review-Journal is investing heavily in its newsroom. News organizations everywhere are cutting back, but we’re hiring. We’re committed to building a regional journalism powerhouse, attracting top-notch talent and helping journalists grow. The Review-Journal is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. A drug screening is mandatory.
Send resume and a few clips to Peter Johnson, deputy editor, Las Vegas Review-Journal - email@example.com
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.