EdSource Today, California’s pre-eminent source of news and analysis about public education, is seeking a fulltime reporter to cover some of the major reforms being implemented in the state and nation.
The successful candidate will write and report on potentially the most significant changes occurring in public education in a generation and have the opportunity to be part of the emerging nonprofit journalism source that is considered a “must-read” by policymakers, influencers and a greater audience interested in staying abreast of the state of education.
We are looking for a creative and resourceful writer with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling articles that enrapt readers and reveals why things are as they are, why they work or don’t work.
Applicants should who have at least 5 years of professional experience working with daily publications, the ability to write cleanly, report aggressively and grasp the larger context of issues. She/he should also be adept at tackling long-form stories.
Qualifications sought include:
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats
- Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks
- Able to deliver high-quality, accurate copy on deadline
- Background in education reporting, children’s issues or public policy preferred but is not an absolute requirement
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as part of a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including news, enterprise, analysis and investigative stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution to other news outlets
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience
In addition to a competitive salary and the opportunity to do meaningful, challenging work, EdSource provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year.
Send a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of three professional references, links to your social media accounts and links to 3-5 examples of your written/digital work to Lanita Pace-Hinton, deputy director, at: email@example.com. Please include job title, Education Writer, in subject line.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.