We are looking for a journalist with a special focus on California education issues. This is a tremendous opportunity for a skilled writer and reporter who is passionate about storytelling and about making a difference. The beat includes K-12 schools, serving more than 6 million California students, as well as the nation’s leading system of public higher education. This is a full time position preferably based at our main office in Sacramento.
This journalist will be an excellent writer and reporter. Our multi-media packages include long-form stories that use elegant and engaging language to provide insight into complex topics for a broad audience.
CALmatters is a communication laboratory. We are nimble and experimental and we know not everything we try will be successful. This reporter will engage our audience during and after the reporting process to understand the interest in our topics and what that means for storytelling tools, language and topics.
Our journalists are public personalities. They reach audiences through social media, they appear on radio and television programs and they participate in live public events as panelists, speakers or moderators.
What we’re looking for:
a great communicator…
- Writing talent – longform, tweet-length and everything in between
- A digger who can work with documents and sources to gain deep insight
- Savvy about social media tools and messaging styles
- Comfort with public and broadcast media styles
…a passion for making a difference…
- Strong interest in the issues that are important to California
- Awareness or interest in the policymaking process in California
- Keen understanding about the demographic drivers in California
- Contribute ideas to the communication laboratory at CALmatters
Why work at CALmatters:
You get to join a talented team of media professionals dedicated to telling the stories of what happens in the state Capitol. We’re a startup, which means every team member has a significant hand in determining our direction and success. We have the financial backing of smart, politically diverse funders and foundations who strongly believe in and support our work. Plus, we offer:
- Excellent health and retirement benefits
- Regular workshops and trainings
- Annual professional development stipend
To apply please email a resume and cover letter explaining why you’re the right candidate to email@example.com.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.