In early 2014, the Arizona School Boards Association will be launching a statewide online news source focused on K-12 education, a quality-of-life and policy issue of critical interest and importance to Arizonans from parents to policymakers. We are looking for a motivated reporter who wants the rare and challenging opportunity to be on the team that launches and leads this effort.
The education reporter will write and edit news, analysis, feature and enterprise articles and work with a team of communications professionals to develop other associated online content in a manner that establishes Arizona Education News as a source of fair, accurate, balanced and constructive journalism about the people who influence education in Arizona, the educational progress of students in the state, and legislative, legal and policy issues and action related to K-12 education in the state. In addition, the reporter will provide input on editorial policy and planning as part of a three-member editorial board.
This staff member will report to ASBA’s Director of Communications. The job will entail occasional night and weekend work.
The minimum qualifications for this position are as follows:
- College graduate with a degree in journalism or a related field.
- Minimum of five years reporting experience, including reporting on education.
- Experience managing website content.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office software suite.
- Ability to represent the Arizona Education News and Arizona School Boards Association in a positive and professional manner.
- Ideal candidate will:
- Have strong clips that demonstrate a commitment to solid, well-sourced stories and creative ways of telling policy stories without putting readers to sleep.
- Show passion in finding and pursuing great stories.
- Be accurate and fair.
- Have a talent for developing sources.
- Have experience using social media as a reporting tool.
- Have experience using social media to expand audience, build community and promote published articles.
- Be flexible in adapting to daily and weekly news demands.
- Be a stickler for deadlines.
- Have a history of working collaboratively with team members.
- Have a passion for public education.
About the Arizona School Boards Association
The Arizona School Boards Association is committed to quality leadership and advocacy for Arizona’s public schools. We are a private, nonprofit organization, the members of which are the governing boards of Arizona’s public schools. ASBA provides training and information to governing board members, school administrators and other education leaders on leadership, governance and issues related to public education; represents its members’ interests through leadership and advocacy on state and federal legislative, policy and legal issues; offers subscriptions to model policies and support with policy adoption and updates; and offers superintendent search services.
Salary & Benefits
We offer a chance to grow professionally in the vibrant Phoenix metropolitan area and offer a competitive salary based on experience, plus a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, comprehensive résumé, and representative portfolio of clips to Tracey Benson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include position title in the subject line.
Review of resumes will begin on Monday, Aug. 19, 2013, and continue until the position is filled. Start date is anticipated to be mid to late September.
Three professional references will be requested of all candidates who interview for the position.
ASBA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.