Education Policy Analyst
California School Boards Association
Under the general direction of the Senior Director, this position provides analysis, research and recommendations on critical education issues that impact California’s students, families, and communities. This position focuses on a variety of support duties for the Senior Director, Policy & Programs and researches and communicates about issues in education that require familiarity with educational laws, rules, regulations and trends. Duties center on: analysis, various forms of oral and written communication, collaboration both within CSBA and across organizations, and grant-supported projects.
- Analyzes and synthesizes reliable research on complex issues in order to produce education policy white papers, policy briefs and advisories, manuals, news items, articles, and other publications as necessary, based on the issues and the needs of CSBA, written in a clear and concise manner.
- Prepares presentations on various education policy research and/or other CSBA publications and presentations.
- Assists in the development, collection and analysis of data from surveys and focus groups.
- Monitors education policy trends, innovations, legislative issues, and changes in regulations.
- Maintains current understanding of education industry, from state laws to local district politics.
- Identifies connections between issues, trends, and current events.
- Prepares and presents advisory positions to the Executive Director and others.
- Participates in the short- and long-term strategy and direction for the department.
- Collaborates with CSBA staff to develop content for issue briefs, online discussions, webinars and other multi-media presentations.
- Carries out a variety of complex project work that may require collaboration with other CSBA departments.
- Facilitates and/or participates in internal CSBA Taskforce meetings, internal committees, online discussions, and webinars.
- Attends, participates, and represents CSBA on external committees, board meetings, commissions, councils and advisory groups.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with philanthropic organizations.
- Contributes to the development of proposals and budgets for grant proposals; participates in the implementation of grant funded work.
- Travels to various locations throughout the State of California.
- Reads and demonstrates an understanding and adherence to CSBA values, policies, and practices.
- Demonstrates respect, honesty and professionalism at all times.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to a master’s degree or higher with major coursework in education leadership and/or policy analysis, public policy research and analysis, government, political science, or related field or equivalent education and/or experience in the area aligned with the study of the range of factors and conditions that contribute to student achievement and success and two (2) to five (5) years of experience in education policy research and analysis, significant experience with writing related to education policy and practice, experience with grant writing and/or with philanthropy, experience with meeting and workshop coordination, facilitation, and presentation. Experience with boards preferred.
Cover letters, resumes and applications should be submitted in Word or PDF format as an attachment and emailed to email@example.com. The application may be scanned and included with your submission. Please include the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line of your email. Please indicate your salary requirements and salary history in your cover letter. Your application packet may also be faxed with a cover page to the attention of Human Resources at (916) 669-3321, or mailed to California School Boards Association ATTN: Human Resources 3251 Beacon Blvd, West Sacramento, CA 95691. EOE
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.