Education Enterprise Reporter for National Desk
The Deseret News seeks a talented writer to produce enterprise stories about innovation in education. This reporter will also aggregate and analyze Internet content for our digital audiences.
The reporter will write primarily for the Deseret News’ growing national audience, with articles to appear on both deseretnews.com and the forthcoming national.deseretnews.com, as well as in local and national editions of the paper.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to write enterprising national stories about issues, ideas and especially innovations in education. We are seeking a reporter who will go beyond traditional reporting on education to examine changes in the educational landscape and take a fresh look at individuals and organizations pioneering new ways of thinking about education. This reporter must also have the knowledge and capacity to engage with other thinkers in national conversations about education and education policy.
The Deseret News is part of a dynamic media company whose mission is to be a trusted voice of light and knowledge for a growing national audience interested in faith and family issues. The Project for Excellence in Journalism recently reported on innovations at the Deseret News.
- Produce two (2) strong, enterprising stories each week
- Produce three (3) web roundups of news coverage each week
- Writing that is thoughtful, enlightening, informative, rigorous, engaging and entertaining
- Ability to develop stories beyond the routine. We are looking for someone who will ask more interesting questions, go beyond simple news releases and do thoughtful enterprise story development and research
- Journalism and/or other professional training in critical/analytical thinking
- Ability to find, understand and use data to drive stories
- Ability to work with professionals to cultivate a beat in a way that develops mutual trust and respect with national sources who can provide trusted insight and perspective
- Capacity and interest in participating in national conversations about education through social media, source development, networking and insightful reporting
- Willingness to take regular feedback and editing from multiple editors
- Ability to write on deadline and take breaking news assignments on short notice
- Commitment to Deseret Media Companies mission and values
Please send cover letter, resume and clips to Nathan Sorensen, email@example.com.
In your cover letter, please explain your interest and experience in reporting on education, including what you think are some of the important issues and innovations in education today, and state why you would be a good fit for a publication like the Deseret News.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.