The Christian Science Monitor
The Education Editor is interested in innovative reporting and committed to journalism that is highly distinctive, constructive, and solution-oriented.
The Monitor wants to be a tool for readers who want more than news – they want to be a part of the solution. Our education coverage is a vital part of this promise, and our team will interact frequently with our audience, through articles, social media, events, and partnerships.
The Education Editor will work as part of a news desk shaping coverage for our daily output as well as our weekly magazine. In this role, he or she will also work to support the Monitor’s other editors focused other topics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes but not limited to the following:
- Leading the Monitor’ Equal Ed project, which focuses our resources on addressing chronic issues of inequality in education.
- Are encouraged to provide their own vision for how the Monitor’s journalism could drive forward movement at a moment when educational achievement is critical to advancement for all age groups and demographics.
- Lead a team in discerning important trends, covering education in the context of a rapidly changing society, and engaging a broad range of readers through stories that resonate with a deep sense of humanity instead of creating daily reports that address the latest wrinkle in policy or speak only to those who work within school walls.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: Managing Editor
Regular Contacts: Has regular contacts with other writers/newsroom staff and general public.
- At least five years’ journalism experience that includes editing as well as writing
- A proficiency in politics, in particular, would be a plus, though not a requirement.
- Demonstrated skills in targeting the stories that matter and give readers a clear sense of why they matter.
- Has told or guided stories that approach topics in a variety of styles and lengths, and are keen to explore new ways to tell stories using multimedia and graphics.
- Excels at bringing out the best reporting and writing in correspondents.
- Has a sharp eye for detail and set the highest standards for accuracy and excellence.
- Committed to the Monitor’s vision for covering the news (link to ‘about us’), and enthusiastic about joining our staff at a moment when we’re launching a new daily news package that doubles down on our commitment to covering the news in a way that promotes deeper engagement and better understanding.
Experience with Adobe or Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Photoshop, and EZ Publish.
Works in office/newsroom environment. This position is located in Boston.
Christian Science Information
The Mother Church membership is preferred.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.