EdSurge is Looking for Two Reporting Fellows
How has technology shaped how you learn? How might it change how you teach?
These are the questions that drive us—and if they stoke your curiosity, we invite you to apply for a Reporting Fellowship at EdSurge, the leading source for news about education technology.
We are looking for two savvy reporters and storytellers who are passionate about sharing the conversations and ideas that will influence how learners learn—and how teachers teach. As an EdSurge Fellow, you will cover the growing community of education entrepreneurs along with the students, educators and learners they’re supposed to serve.
We want creative, confident and concise writers who can communicate complex ideas to our audience. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the EdSurge Fellow will:
- Curate and summarize announcements, news and reports;
- Research and produce original stories;
- Review and edit submissions from contributing writers;
- Assist in the creation and delivery of weekly newsletters, podcasts and other media;
- Develop new ways to grow an online audience.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Outstanding writing and editing chops;
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance (but unafraid to seek help when needed);
- Experience with sharing content on social media;
- Broad understanding of major education issues;
- Familiarity with basic business and finance terms;
- Experience with graphic editing tools (i.e. Photoshop) and HTML/CSS
This will be a six-month, 30 hours per week opportunity with competitive pay in our Burlingame, CA office. We will accept and review applications on a rolling basis until the two positions are filled.
Must Haves for Everyone at EdSurge
- Skeptical Technologist. EdSurge is a diverse and extremely talented set of educators, journalists, technologists and business people who fundamentally believe that the smart use of technology can revolutionize education for all types of students. We are optimistic, but also extremely pragmatic and thoughtful about all of the adaptation (by companies, students, teachers, administrators) that still needs to happen to deliver on this promise.
- Clear communicator and writer. We are a next-generation media and data organization trying to make sense of a rapidly evolving industry for others. If we can’t understand each other, we will not be able to create value for our customers.
- Entrepreneurial. There really isn’t another word for it. We are a fast growing startup with lots of ambiguity ahead of us. You need to be thinking and acting like a solo operator—if you are not failing, you are not learning. If you aren’t learning, we are not growing fast enough.
- A True Team Member. At the same time, EdSurge is significantly greater than the sum of its individuals. When we were a team of five, outsiders thought we had a staff of 40. Imagine our impact when we get to 40…
About Our Team:
We’re a small, humble staff with a big and growing footprint. We read Quartz and Wired. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not? And every day we strike that fine balance between being serious and silly.
Please send a resume, links to published work, and a short story about your most memorable learning experience to Tony Wan (email@example.com).
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.