Success Academy Charter Schools
The production of clear, concise, impactful content is an increasingly critical part of 21st century life. With schooling–it is no different. Excellent schooling requires high-quality content, from curricula to instructional guides to assessments. The better the content, the better the teaching and learning.
Since opening our first Harlem school in 2006, Success Academy Charter Schools has swiftly grown to 34 high-performing schools, serving 11,000 kids from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. Over the next decade, Success Academy will train thousands of teachers to staff its own schools and – through the virtual Success Academy Education Institute – share its highly sought-after intellectual property with educators across the country and around the world.
To accommodate both our internal scaling and to meet the urgent external demand for our curriculum and training, Success Academy is seeking an individual with deep experience in curricular publishing to serve in the newly established position of Editorial Director. This individual will be responsible for fundamentally re-imagining how we create and deliver instructional materials to our school leaders, teachers, and scholars in grades Pre-K through 12.
Reporting to the Chief Academic Officer, the Editorial Director will be responsible for:
- Managing a team of curriculum/assessment writers to create and revise excellent materials at lightning speed;
- Leading the charge on streamlining and improving existing materials (making them more user-friendly, digestible, and consistent across disciplines) as well as creating new materials and delivering them in innovative ways to elevate teaching and learning within our schools;
- Developing a strong and consistent tone, style, and voice for our curricular materials;
- Collaborating with our Education Institute team to prepare our materials for digitization and consumption by online audiences; and
- Developing systems and processes for ensuring that our materials are tailored to the needs of our leaders and teachers, and are created in concert with our instructional trainers who work directly with our school leaders to improve instruction.
The Editorial Director should be someone who…
- Is committed to education reform and possesses a desire to revolutionize how we educate tens of thousands of scholars;
- Is an exceptionally clear communicator, gifted writer, and innovative thinker who will turn our curricula into a unique brand;
- Can imaginatively re-conceive how we deliver, share, and consume content across our organization;
- Is a leader with tremendous agency and can execute against short-term and long-term goals; and
- Has an incredibly high bar, constantly and consistently strives for excellence, and can manage a team of people to do the same.
To join our team, upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.