Center on Reinventing Public Education
The Center on Reinventing Public Education, a nonpartisan, nonprofit, national research organization affiliated with the University of Washington, is seeking an entrepreneurial, talented editorial director to help expand the reach and impact of its work in new ways.
The ideal candidate is an experienced writer and editor with expertise in national education issues and the ability to write persuasively, engagingly, clearly, and quickly for general audiences. The job has three facets:
- Writing op-eds, blog posts, feature articles, and more and placing these publications in the media to reach CRPE’s highest-priority audiences. This includes writing in one’s own voice as well as shaping and reshaping material for CRPE leadership. While the most immediate need is for material in our current areas of research, there will be room for the editorial director to develop his or her own portfolio.
- Providing developmental editing for the many products—from policy briefs to research reports—CRPE currently produces and ensuring that technical, quantitative material is made accessible and engaging. The job will also involve coaching the academic researchers on staff, to help them write effectively for general audiences.
- Overseeing the publication process, including managing the publications coordinator, maintaining relationships with editorial contractors, managing the in-house style guide, and promoting awareness of guidelines throughout the organization. The editorial director will not have direct responsibility for public relations but will collaborate closely with the communications director to identify audiences and platforms for publications.
The expected time breakdown for the work is 40 percent editing, 40 percent writing, and 20 percent publication management. This job would suit a self-starter who appreciates the freedom to build an effective system in a new job position, but CRPE is a collaborative environment where working on teams—and adhering to the organizational mission—is also essential.
CRPE’s researchers and policy analysts, driven by evidence rather than ideology, focus on the complex systemic challenges affecting public education. We develop, test, and support evidence-based solutions to create new possibilities for the parents, educators, and public officials who strive to improve America’s schools.
The editorial director will work in our high-performing, congenial, and family-friendly office in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle.
- Ten years experience writing and editing, including five years specifically in the field of education
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Experience placing pieces in publications
- Experience translating technical and quantitative material into accessible prose
- Deep understanding of K-12 governance structures and challenges
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work both independently and in teams
- A commitment to improving the educational outcomes of disadvantaged children and an open mind regarding the ways that can be accomplished
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. CRPE is part of the University of Washington, and as such offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter,
resume, and three writing samples representing a variety of
formats to email@example.com, with
“Editorial Director Position” in the subject line. Finalists for
the position will be expected to complete an editing and writing
task. We hope to fill the position by June 2014. See our
website for updated information:
All candidate must also submit application materials through the UWHires website. The position will formally be available from the UWHires website in Late May. http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/jobs/
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.