Editor, K-12 Education
U.S. News & World Report
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our ‘Best’ series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easyto-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to help parents and school administrators navigate the K-12 school landscape.
You’ll be responsible for our content strategy in the K-12 school space, which includes creating content that helps parents choose the best school for their children, and helps school admissions officers and administrators provide the best admissions experience to prospective parents. You’ll manage our content calendar, recruit and manage freelance writers, develop a content strategy to reach these audiences, edit articles and school profiles, and use analytics tools to monitor performance of our content. You’ll also work with our communications team to promote our content on social media and with other media outlets.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble editor who is skilled at juggling several tasks at once and can drive the editorial coverage in the K-12 school space.
As part of the job, you’ll edit articles and school profiles aimed at parents of K-12 students and school admissions officers. You’ll edit content for flow, consistency, tone, audience, brevity, accuracy and SEO. Responsibilities also include recruiting and managing freelance writers with expertise in the K-12 private or public school space, managing the editorial calendar for this content, and working closely with the education product and SEO teams to monitor performance.
Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
APPLY THROUGH THIS LINK:
You should definitely have:
- 3-4 years of professional editing experience at a media company or education industry publication
- Experience recruiting and managing freelance writers
- Experience managing editorial calendars
- Experience employing SEO best practices
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve content and better engage our audience
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with project management
- Experience covering the K-12 school beat
- Knowledge of the private, charter and magnet school admissions process
- Experience using Google Docs and Sheets
- Familiarity with SEMRush
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers. Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement and training
- Collaborative work environment – fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Please note that we will not offer visa sponsorship for this position.
- Submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
NUMBER OF OPENINGS
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
U.S. News & World Report is a publisher of news and information that empowers people to make better, more informed decisions about important issues affecting their lives.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.