Editor in Chief
America’s Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people in the United States, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. To pursue this mission most effectively, we are committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young people in America.
As the nation’s largest partnership of its kind, America’s Promise Alliance brings together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, and educators behind a commitment to making the promise of America accessible to all young people. We frame our work around Five Promises that we believe must be made and kept to every young person – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education, and opportunities to serve.
With these promises at work for all young people, we believe the nation can reach the goal of 90 percent on-time high school graduation by 2020. Through our GradNation campaign, we are leading the effort to reach this critical milestone so that more young people are on track to thriving in school, work, community and life.
As we accelerate our work on existing initiatives like the GradNation Campaign and prepare to launch new work and new initiatives in 2015, we are searching for individuals with the skills, passion, and drive to help us work toward our vision that every child in America has the opportunity and support to reach his or her full potential and pursue his or her American Dream.
Essential Job Functions
While the Editor in Chief’s position may span many types of editorial assignments, some of which can’t be anticipated in advance, most of the work will fall into two areas: providing general editing oversight for the organization, and building and managing a news service tentatively named the Promise News Service.
Editor of the Promise News Service (approximately 70%): Work with the Vice President of Communications & Knowledge Management to create, launch and manage the growth of this news service, producing news stories and analysis from around the country on developments related in the positive youth development arena, with a near-term comprehensive focus on efforts to improve high school graduation rates.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Staffing – Recruit and manage a stable of freelance journalists covering various beats and/or geographic areas of the country.
- Original Content – Produce written stories, photography, audio content and video that come primarily from beats emphasizing progress and challenges related to keeping the Five Promises to youth in America (constant, reliable presence of caring adults in their lives; safe surroundings to learn, live and grow; healthy starts and development; effective educations that instill marketable skills; opportunities to serve others).
- Curation – Curate and appropriately distribute third-party news content that is relevant to the editorial focus of the News Service.
- Editorial Calendar – Post frequent news updates, including a mix of original and curated content, on America’s Promise’s website, in an area distinctly branded as Promise News Service content. Distribute timely and relevant news digests through email and social media channels to our audiences.
- Editorial Board – Maintain an editorial board of respected news professionals to advise on journalism standards and ethics that will guide the work of the Promise News Service.
- Budgeting – Deliver maximum, scaled performance within defined budget parameters.
General editing (approximately 30%): With an eye for writing quality, readability and adherence to organizational voice and style, edit all major written works produced by America’s Promise Alliance, such as research reports published by the Center for Promise, marketing materials, major digital content, grant proposals and CEO communications to the America’s Promise board of directors.
We seek a seasoned, accomplished editor with an extensive background in journalism to lead this effort. This person should be capable of managing what will ultimately develop (as resources allow) into a mature, prolific news service, and serve as an editor of in-house research and corporate content. The successful applicant will have:
- At least 10 years of journalism experience, preferably including experience at a national news service and/or digital newswire
- A network of contacts among working journalists, which will aid in the recruitment of freelance contributors
- An excellent record of writing, editing and producing journalism content across written, spoken and visual formats
- An excellent eye for good stories, insightful coverage, and compelling narratives
- Experience editing and directing news content; experience editing corporate writing content a distinct plus
- The ability to translate raw writing into relevant, high quality, compelling news content
- Experience managing content generators, editorial calendars, and aggressive publishing schedules
- Enthusiasm, energy, and capacity to lead the start-up of a new journalism project, aimed at applying the distinct value and character of journalism content to enlightening those at work improving the lives of young people in America.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications or similar field – Required
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Editor Position in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team, and are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.