EdSource is seeking a skilled editor who can work with the nonprofit newsroom’s award-winning education team. We’re looking for someone who can navigate the news cycle while focusing on what distinguishes EdSource from the pack – compelling, in-depth journalism that goes beyond the latest headlines and searches for solutions to some of the most vexing issues facing education in California and the nation.
With the state’s largest team of education reporters, EdSource is seeking an editor with a keen eye for seeing the big picture on issues, including those involving early education and K-12. A strong candidate will have experience working with both seasoned and emerging writers, as well as an ability to inspire and coach while helping to shape storytelling with impact. With a mix of longform pieces, short news updates, as well as in-depth enterprise, the editor will work collaboratively with EdSource’s editorial leadership team to help steer the strategic vision of the newsroom.
A successful candidate will have a proven track record of managing a team of journalists, with the ability to elevate content by helping to conceive relevant, engaging and data-driven stories. We’re looking for a creative and experienced editor with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, engaging storytelling that sheds new light on issues and trends in education.
Founded in 1977, EdSource has earned its reputation as a highly respected and independent nonprofit newsroom with a long track record of reporting on important education issues, from early education to postsecondary. While its primary focus is on California, EdSource covers issues within a national context.
The editor will join an influential and growing organization recognized as one of the most authoritative sources of education reporting in a state with the nation’s largest system of public education. Our journalism is published online, in daily email newsletters, via video and podcast, as well as through partnerships with other news organizations.
This position is based in EdSource’s headquarters in Oakland, although the organization is currently working remotely.
- At least 8 years of professional editing experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication;
- Ability to set, lead and execute a strategic vision for a wide range of coverage, along with the ability to distill complex education topics;
- Enthusiastic leader with team-building skills that encourage collaboration and innovation;
- Proven supervisory skills, working collaboratively with other editors, as well as reporters;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to place issues within a larger context;
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines;
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering education issues and create high-impact multimedia storytelling;
- Experience in education journalism preferred but not required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit stories with impact in a variety of styles and formats.
- Supervise a team of journalists, providing regular feedback and coaching.
- Work with other team members to develop new ways to grow audience.
- Other duties as assigned.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and paid holidays, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three references, as well as links to your social media accounts and links to, or attachments of, three to six examples of work you have edited to email@example.com. Please include the job title in subject line.
EdSource is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds, all races, colors, origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.