Director of Public Relations, Advancement
UC San Diego
The University Communications Public Relations team drives strategic outreach and engagement in support of internal and external communications for UC San Diego, while also contributing to content development in collaboration with University Communications Strategy colleagues.
Advancement inspires support from and fosters meaningful relationships with alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff, friends and community partners to drive philanthropic investment in UC San Diego. The Advancement and Campaign Communications team is a professional service division within the Advancement Operations and Campaign (AOC) unit that is dedicated to leading marketing and communications efforts across Advancement by providing design, writing, editing, and strategic consulting services.
University Communications PR professionals are expert storytellers who utilize best-in-class internal and external communications channels to deliver the unique stories of each of the University-wide. The PR function drives earned media efforts by cultivating and leveraging relationships with key regional, vertical and global media to elevate the university’s profile of prestige, distinction and global leadership in research, medicine, science, engineering, technology, policy, management, the arts and more. The PR team also leads communications for the university’s distinguished research centers and institutes, including the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, Qualcomm Institute and leading collaborations in robotics, energy, materials discovery and design and other emerging areas.
Additionally, the University Communications PR team serves as a critical resource for communications strategy and support for staff and faculty engagement communications initiatives in support of the university’s advancement, student affairs, human resources and library functions by integrating and aligning with strategic university priorities and initiatives. Crisis communications are managed through this team.
The Director of Public Relations, Advancement serves as the strategic communications and media relations professional for Advancement. Reports directly to the Sr. Executive Director, Public Relations (SED-PR) with additional reporting to the Deputy Director Advancement Operations and Campaign (DD-AOC). Provides the full range of communications services and advice to Advancement leadership in partnership with the DD-AOC, the Advancement and Campaign Communications (ACC) team, and imbedded communications staff in Advancement. Also develops communications strategies in coordination with University Communications colleagues and in sync with University Communications initiatives and Advancement needs. Works collaboratively to devise, communicate and implement communications strategies. Serves as a strong facilitator and liaison to advance the mission and goals of the organization. Actively, deliberately and thoughtfully infuses inclusivity and diversity throughout university communications. Promotes a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, respect and superior customer service to internal and external constituents.
The Director of Public Relations, Advancement serves as an adviser to the Advancement leadership team and communications staff, developing proactive and comprehensive communications and media relations strategies for the key programs and initiatives across the university. Works in collaboration with colleagues in the development of promotional materials, providing content for highly polished print and digital publications and websites that advance the mission of UC San Diego Advancement. Develops and implements communications strategies to reach institutional goals and objectives that target key audiences in corporate relations, donor relations, alumni relations, internal communications and other friends of the university. Collaborates on materials for use on a variety of communications channels including social media, newsletters, websites and collateral. As appropriate, directs photography and videography in service of these objectives. This position pitches news to strategic local, national and international media and aids in the development and implementation of strategies to address sensitive issues and to tell the story of philanthropic impact at UC San Diego. Supports the goals and objectives of the University Communications strategic communications plan and maintains editorial and brand standards.
• Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
• Please submit a cover letter for a complete application.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related area with five years of relevant experience, and/or equivalent experience / training.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
• Advanced skills to create, develop, and implement long and short term strategic communication plans.
• Media relations experience with advanced writing skills.
• Advanced skills to advise and consult management on all aspects of communications, ranging from developing effective communication strategies to appropriately responding to inquiries regarding sensitive or complex issues or information.
• Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills. Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate ideas, thoughts, complex problems and position statements. Must possess a strong portfolio of interpersonal skills: ability to interact with tact and diplomacy with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and organizational levels, ability to constructively handle complaints, ability to be flexible, to work collaboratively and to listen well and engender trust.
• Advanced knowledge of the organization, including its mission, vision, goals, policies, and infrastructure; strong knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education and / or health sciences. Sophisticated level knowledge of current issues, trends and opportunities in fundraising.
• Proven ability and working experience to edit writing for accuracy and style. Working knowledge of proper English grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence construction and effective journalistic style.
• Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, and problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills.
• Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Experience working with leadership, top donors and promoting philanthropy.
• Extensive writing experience in an academic environment for fundraising related communications.
• Knowledge of academic advancement and governance, administration of educational programs, and research programs funding and execution.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
b) Vacation/holidays (18 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
c) Work/Life Balance.
d) UC Retirement Plan.
e) Pet Insurance.
Salary Range: $71,000 – $115,500/year
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.