Director of Operations
EdSource is seeking an experienced operations professional, ideally with nonprofit administration experience, to lead and manage the organization’s operations, including overseeing human resources. Founded in 1977, EdSource is a leading nonprofit journalism organization reporting on education in California.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in operations management, with the goal of maximizing efficiency and effectiveness throughout an organization, while ensuring all activities are aligned with its mission and culture. S/he will build systems that endure and grow as the organization grows. S/he will be a member of the senior leadership team, and will work closely with the executive director.
The position will be based in EdSource’s headquarters in Oakland, although initially the selected candidate may work remotely depending on the status of the coronavirus epidemic at that time of the hire.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Budget and Finances
- With the executive director, develop the yearly budget.
- Manage the budget in association with the accountants and the executive director, reviewing monthly reports.
- Take corrective action as needed to ensure a stable budget outcome.
- Work closely with EdSource’s accountant to reconcile monthly reports as needed.
- Oversee the yearly audit.
- With the executive director, develop goals and timelines consistent with the organization’s budget and deliverables.
- Track organizational deliverables that are due to foundations and other organizations.
- Provide support to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage recruitment and hiring processes for new personnel.
- Ensure that EdSource is in compliance with all state and federal laws and requirements regarding HR.
- Develop and implement orientation programs for new hires.
- Serve as the point person for staff on HR issues and questions.
- Ensure that performance reviews are completed in a timely manner and that all employee personnel files are current.
- Other HR duties as needed and appropriate.
- Oversee facilities operations.
- Manage any office space that EdSource sublets, including identifying potential lessees, developing sublease contracts, and monitoring the sublet.
- Ensure that the internal operations of the organization run smoothly and that processes are put in place to deliver performance and achieve goals.
- Develop and maintain an operating procedures manual.
- Oversee payroll management.
- Monitor employee benefits and ensure that all benefits including the 403(b) and health savings account are properly administered.
- Negotiate most favorable arrangements with benefit providers.
Fundraising and Reporting
- Provide budgets for foundation proposals and for grant reports as needed.
- Assist in reports to foundations as needed.
- Proven experience as an operations director or relevant role, with a minimum of 7+ years of experience. Preference is for experience with 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Thorough understanding of diverse business processes and strategy development.
- Understand financial reports and accounting processes.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Excel, databases and information systems.
- HR experience, including running payroll and managing employee benefits.
Benefits and Compensation:
EdSource offers competitive wages, commensurate with experience. Along with the opportunity to be part of a team of experienced journalists doing meaningful work in a highly creative communications environment, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and paid holidays, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three references, as well as links to your social media accounts, and links to, or attachments of, three examples of your written work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in subject line.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.