Director of Media
California School Boards Association
Under general direction of Sr. Director of Communications/PIO, this position leads, oversees, and coordinates the development, preparation, and productions of print and electronic communication from creative concept to final print; sets priorities and directs the work of assigned staff on a project or day-to day basis; researches, writes, and edits publications; fosters cooperative working relationships among Association departments and acts as liaison with various educational, community, public, and government agencies; and performs related work as required.
- Plans, manages and oversees the daily functions, operations and activities associated with all print and electronic publications and communications (including website and social media) produced by the Communications department, including planning, developing, and implementing overall recommendations and strategies to advance the Association’s strategic goals and priorities.
- Plans, schedules, prioritizes, and assigns writing and editing work in consultation with Sr. Director of Communications; manages production and communicates status of projects in accordance with established priorities; instructs staff in work procedures.
- Coordinates the production of the Association’s printed publications for sale; works with other departments to develop publications and coordinates with the design team to produce them.
- Collaborates with other Communications staff to post information on the Association’s social media webpages.
- Writes print and electronic communications, including news stories and features, newsletters, websites, articles, new releases, public service announcements, fact sheets, fliers, display materials, magazine articles, books, brochures, technical reports, and other written materials.
- Serves as primary editor for the Communications department, including writing, editing and proofreading content, style, grammar and accuracy; actively makes assignments to, and advises staff writers on, their written products.
- Oversees the assignment and work of freelance writers to produce editorial content that appropriately represents the Association’s perspective and style.
- Oversees and performs content management activities to generate new content and maintain existing content on the Association’s website; develops, monitors, and coordinates web content and design.
- Coordinates efforts to connect members of the public to the Association via publications, website, and other media.
- Provides support and recommendations for Association special events as required.
- Supports grassroots and advocacy efforts through campaign communications strategies.
- Participates in the development, administration, and oversight of departmental budgets.
- Participates in the selection of, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; works with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends discipline to the Sr. Director of Communications.
- Develops and implements tactical publication plans, both short and long-term, to promote various programs and services; provides the goals, target audiences.
- Analyzes and prepares reports and updates on various departmental marketing strategies to determine whether strategies were successful.
- Supports the Sr. Director of Communications with media release distribution, media pitching, media calls and inquiries.
- Maintains and directs the maintenance of working and official departmental files.
- Negotiates and administers contracts with private vendors to provide Association services.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to an bachelor’s degree or higher with major coursework in journalism, English, marketing, public relations, advertising, business or public administration, or related field with five (5) years of experience in publications, marketing or public relations including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Cover letters, resumes and applications should be submitted in Word or PDF format as an attachment and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application may be scanned and included with your submission. Please include the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line of your email. Please indicate your salary requirements and salary history in your cover letter. Your application packet may also be faxed with a cover page to the attention of Human Resources at (916) 669-3321, or mailed to California School Boards Association ATTN: Human Resources 3251 Beacon Blvd, West Sacramento, CA 95691. EOE
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.