Director, Communications and Outreach
School-Based Health Alliance
Reports to: President
Job Type: Full-time, Immediate opening
Location: Washington, DC (remote work a possibility)
The School-Based Health Alliance seeks a Director of Communications and Outreach to lead the organization’s communication and marketing strategies in alignment with policy and program goals, promote the organization and its staff as national subject matter experts and thought leaders, work with strategic external partners and work across the organization to ensure the highest quality in all communications efforts and products. This position is a member of the Senior team.
- Lead development and execution of strategic communication and marketing plan that aligns with the School-Based Health Alliance’s goals and strategies and assures integration of communications in all aspects of the organization’s work including programs, policy and advocacy, research and evaluation, and state affiliate organizations
- Lead public and media relations, including story development, pitching, and follow up (LTEs, op-eds, etc.)
- Work closely with Policy Director and President to develop and maintain strategic relationships with partner organizations
- Build relationships with, provide guidance to, and cultivate skills of School-Based Health Alliance’s state affiliates on communications, marketing, and branding
- Lead marketing and communications for the annual National School-Based Health Care Convention
- Manage day-to-day communications execution, including social media, website content, blog posts, e-blasts
- Supervise communications staff and contractors as appropriate
- Contribute to the shared work of the organization’s teams as needed
Required Skills and Experience
- 10-15 years of experience in communications and marketing
- Bachelor’s degree with a record of continuing education through personal and professional development. Graduate degree is desirable.
- Experience developing strategic communications and marketing plans
- Strong media relations skills, contacts, and experience
- Exceptional researching, writing, and editing skills
- Experience writing and editing for digital and social media
- Exceptional verbal skills and experience talking to reporters in the capacity of a spokesperson, including crisis communications
- Ability to set goals proactively, work plans, and recognize the resources necessary to achieve those goals and objectives, and a willingness to find those resources
- Attention to detail
- Experienced with communications in policy, public health, education
- A strong desire to build public support and political power for protecting children’s and adolescents’ access to health care
The Alliance uses WordPress, Salesforce, and Salsa for its CMS, CRM, and email marketing. Candidates with experience in database management, Google analytics and SEO, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and CSS will be favored. Experience with Google Grants a plus.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The incumbent will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by the supervisor.
Salary range $80,000 to $90,000. Generous benefits. Work from home options available.
Interested candidates: send resume and cover letter to Alicia Newell, email@example.com
Closing date: March 31. 2020
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.