Director of Communications and External Affairs
High Tech High
Developed by a coalition of San Diego civic leaders and educators, High Tech High opened in September 2000 as a small public charter school with plans to serve approximately 450 students. HTH has evolved into an integrated network of sixteen charter schools serving approximately 6,350 students in grades K-12 across four campuses.
Located in San Diego County, California, High Tech High (HTH) is guided by four connected design principles—equity, personalization, authentic work, and collaborative design—that set aspirational goals and create a foundation for understanding our approach. If you are motivated by these principles, we encourage you to join our team!
HTH seeks a Director of Communications and External Affairs to join our Central Management Office.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Chief of Staff, the Director of Communications and External Affairs will oversee marketing & communications and development at High Tech High (HTH). The Director of Communications and External Affairs will be responsible for engaging key stakeholders, strengthening the reach and impact of HTH’s brand, and securing resources to further HTH’s mission and work.
- Embodies High Tech High’s design principles of Equity, Personalization, Authentic Work and Collaborative Design in all work activities and actions
- Develops and implements a marketing and communications plan for reaching and engaging High Tech High’s key stakeholders, including current and prospective students and families, staff, donors, and alumni
- Drafts leadership communications, and manages press and speaking opportunities for High Tech High leaders
- Manages the creation and use of HTH-branded print and digital materials
- Develops and leads HTH’s development strategy
Marketing & Communications:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Deep knowledge of strategies for expanding reach and engagement on digital platforms, including websites, email, and social media
- Ability to identify and prioritize the highest-value communication strategies
- Ability to write and edit Spanish-language communications preferred
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to develop a long-term fundraising strategy
- Ability to craft compelling funding proposals
- Strong expertise in donor cultivation and stewardship
- Ability to work with all kinds of people positively and equitably
- Demonstrated ability to develop communications content, relationships, and engagement to advance equity, diversity and inclusion
- Cultural sensitivity and competence
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Social Work, or related field
- A minimum of five years of communications, marketing, and/or development experience
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and development
- Demonstrated success in branding, marketing, and communications
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish strongly preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary ranges from $113,828 to $130,742. HTH offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, and vision for full-time employees and their dependents.
If you fit the qualifications above, and are looking for a forward-thinking, innovative institution that embodies visionary leadership and embraces diversity, then High Tech High is the place for you!
To apply, visit our website, and complete an online application: https://www.hightechhigh.org/about-us/join-our-team
High Tech High provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, High Tech High complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the practice has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.