Director of Communications and Digital Strategy (Publicity/Marketing Manager)
University of Connecticut Neag School of Education
UConn’s Neag School of Education is searching for a Director of Communications and Digital Strategy (Publicity/Marketing Manager). Reporting to the Dean, this position creates, oversees, and delivers an integrated strategic communications effort designed to promote and advance the Neag School of Education with an emphasis on initiatives related to digital presence and marketing.
The Neag School of Education stands out as a major contributor to instructional and research excellence at the University of Connecticut. With academic departments dedicated to educational leadership, educational psychology, and curriculum and instruction, the Neag School offers programs in such areas as teacher education, school psychology, sport management, higher education and student affairs, and administrator preparation. According to the 2023 U.S. News & World Report rankings of Best Graduate Schools, the Neag School ranks among the top 20 public graduate schools of education in the nation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working collaboratively with departments, programs, faculty, and others across the Neag School and beyond, the Director of Communications and Digital Strategy develops and leads the communications strategy that articulates the vision and accomplishments of the Neag School. They serve the following functions:
- Webmaster and Digital Media Manager
- Marketing Communication Strategist and Brand Advisor
- Media Relations Director
- Senior Writer/Editor
- Communications Team Supervisor
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean or Associate Dean
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, public relations, or a related field
- Six to seven years of related experience
- Strong attention to detail and planning and organizational skills
- Proven ability to organize and produce clear, compelling communications content while adhering to branding standards
- Experience creating content for social media promotion on a variety of platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram)
- Proficiency with MailChimp or similar email marketing platform
- Proficiency with Aurora WordPress or other CMS, as well as experience developing and building website content; HTML knowledge a plus
- Experience in event planning and management
- Media relations experience (e.g., fielding inquiries from the media, editing and pitching op-eds)
- Experience in producing videos
- Master’s degree in English, journalism, communications, public relations, or a related field
- At least one year serving as supervisor of professional staff
- Experience in higher education
- Proven ability to produce communications content on behalf of administrators that is oftentimes highly sensitive in nature and must be completed under pressure for delivery to high-level stakeholders
- Graphic design experience via Adobe PhotoShop and InDesign applications
- Google Analytics proficiency
- Experience with Qualtrics
- Photography skills
- Digital accessibility knowledge
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496435 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on June 28, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.