Director of Communications
Amplify builds innovative and compelling digital educational products that empower teachers and students across the country. We have a long history as the leading innovator in K-12 education – and have been described as the best tech company in education and the best education company in tech. While others try to shrink the learning experience into the technology, we use technology to expand what is possible in real classrooms with real students and teachers.
Amplify works with educators across the country – and about 2 million students. Although we’re a technology company, we don’t believe that our work is over the moment a teacher has a new software license. Instead, it’s just beginning – we work side-by-side with educators and school leaders, fitting our products into the lived reality of classrooms and schools.
Amplify builds innovative and compelling digital educational products that empower teachers and students across the country. We have a long history as the leading innovator in K-12 education – and have been described as the best tech company in education and the best education company in tech.
We are seeking a Director of Communications to oversee public relations for Amplify and its products and services. The Director will be focused on managing media relations and thought leadership for Amplify, helping the world to understand Amplify’s history, mission, products, and impact on the classroom.
The Director of Communications will report to the Chief Marketing Officer. This person will often work cross-functionally with the business unit General Managers, Sales, Marketing, Product, Design, Operations and Services teams.
- Drive strategy and results for building awareness of Amplify and its products and services through media placements and thought leadership
- Build and execute an overarching media relations strategy that includes proactive outreach and reactive response to national, trade and local press that yields primarily positive to neutral coverage
- Lead all major PR campaigns around product launches and other milestones
- Create a proactive approach to potential crises and manage all crisis communications
- Develop and execute thought leadership programs for Amplify’s stakeholders, including blog posts, editorials and other publications, events
- Identify new opportunities and develop new programs to elevate Amplify and its products/services among relevant media and educators
- Cultivate and manage relationships with both K-12 education reporters and Amplify’s friends and advocates (including nonprofits and customers) who can serve as potential sources
- Conduct ongoing media monitoring and measurement, including monitoring of competitor and industry press
- Collaborate with the CEO, Chief of Staff, head of HR, and CMO to produce an internal communications strategy and regular internal communications
- Oversee a Manager, Brand Marketing & Communications, whose work includes cross-product communications, website content oversight, and media relations support
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in English, Comparative Literature, Communications, or Journalism
- 6-10 years of public relations or corporate communications experience
- Experience building and managing comprehensive communications plans
- Proven track record of pitching and cultivating new media relationships
- Strategic storyteller and creative thinker who’s always pondering the headline
- Deadline-driven self-starter with good judgement and a strong attention to detail
- Strong and persuasive writer and speaker
- Ability to quickly build rapport with senior management and provide good counsel on all communications matters
- High levels of energy, enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, good humor and commitment
- Master’s degree in Journalism
- Experience in K-12 education, especially in media relations
Amplify is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
This position may be funded, in whole or in part, through American Recovery & Reinvestment Act funds.
Amplify Education, Inc. is an E-Verify participant.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.